Adding Power down feed to RF30?

Nigel,
I don't plan to do each axis. I want to add power feed to my X axis at some point. Right now I would like a way to auto feed for boring, that's what the z axis plan is.

Thats great I am sure you will like the smoother finish when boring
Just thought when building and installing it try to include future features
The X axis drive I built has a bigger drive also dc variable the cost to purchase one at
the time was 600 dollars much cheaper to build one

Not sure if your mill is the round column mill drill like mine
I used the down feed for awhile and it worked okay
Later I installed an air cylinder on the quill to prevent drift
The drive is powerful enough to overcome the pressure(10lbs) in the cylinder
It did work good before doing that

I have a 1987.5 Enco with the power down feed.
Mine came with all that stuff and I puled it all off to CNC the machine.

I am about to do the same thing, CNC that is. Considering pulling the factory stuff off to simplify things but my down feed is part of the whole power attachment. Did you replace all of it with a ball screw?

Hey, if you guys have a factory power down feed set up that you aren't going to use, PLEASE put me on the list of buyers.

I am about to do the same thing, CNC that is. Considering pulling the factory stuff off to simplify things but my down feed is part of the whole power attachment. Did you replace all of it with a ball screw?
First I tried to leave the power feed unit in place and use it as part of the CNC system but the gear slop in the powertrain made it too imprecise for use. Because the gears mesh at different points based on elevation it is impossible to correct the errors through the software. So I removed everything and use a ballscrew to lift and lower the spindle.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but can you post some picks of your arrangement or PM them to me. Thanks.

Hey, if you guys have a factory power down feed set up that you aren't going to use, PLEASE put me on the list of buyers.

I am not so sure switching over a power feed from one machine to another is going to be that easy. Here is a picture of what mine looks like with the power feed removed. My entire power feed was caked full of very old and nasty grease.

IMG_20200201_110121[1].jpg

Back