Adding QC54 S/N to Database

reh

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Hi, new to the Atlas group, past user of Van Norman Mill. I recently acquired a QC54, S/N 004635, from a PO in WA. No history from the PO, forgot to ask, as I had just driven 1100 miles to pick up the unit. $1100 purchase price, as was crazy to get a lathe with tooling. Steady rest, follower, 3 jaw, 4 jaw, small face plate, lots of Morse drills, cutters, knurlers, etc. Thought I had a pretty good deal, but the horizontal countershaft assy and motor base had been broken and brazed, which wound up broken again by the time I got it home. The feed screw miter gear had essentially no key, only a thin razor of a line about a sixteenth of an inch. Motor wiring was cracking so replaced the wiring. Found a new countershaft assy on Ebay, as well as new miter gears as part of a lot with milling attachment. Reluctant to pull spindle for bearing serial number check, but the back bearing as a little tic, so purchased a backup spindle with bearings (no races) in case need in future, as the MT3 taper in spindle is pretty ragged. The 24 tooth gear in the reverse tumbler had a couple of chipped teeth, so ordered a steel Boston Gear replacement. Still in process of giving a good cleaning. Looking forward to gaining access to the downloads section; after reading all the discussion on this thread, the references to the data that is available is sounding pretty good.

Sounds like it's coming along nicely.

Should you pull the spindle, what you will find engraved on the bearings are the inspection dates which are pretty much the only method that we have for dating the machine. From the serial number, I would guess somewhere in early 1948. When Atlas brought out the two QC models sometime in 1947, for some reason they started the serial numbers over at 1 instead of using numbers out of the going pool as they had apparently done when the 10D and then 10F came out. They got up to something over 004882 before they changed and started pulling serial numbers out of the 10F block. The lowest dated serial number that we have is 083825 with bearing dates of 1948/06/30. We don't have any dates for the few 3- and 4-digit serial numbers in the database.

The deal on Downloads is this - because it costs the site a fee for storage space every month, it was decided to limit access to Downloads and a few other moderately expensive options to donors. Minimum donation amount is $10, and it is good for one year. If you click on the Donations tab in the main tool bar, a chart comes up that shows what each level gets.

I added your machine to the database and uploaded an update.

Great! Thank you for guesstimate on the vintage. I was guessing 1948-57, but will have to wait until I HAVE to pull the spindle.

I just upgraded to sustaining, looking forward to all the access.

Starting to put back together, got the countershaft working, so the spindle turns again. Waiting for shipment of DTE Heavy Medium to fill the SAE 20 oil requirement. Decided to change bronze busings when I have easy access, so that means the feedscrew area, but not easy finding bronze sleeve bearings in those sizes. Buy large and cut to size. I try to get the Oilite-type impregnated ones with "Turbo 68", which in guessed refered to ISO 68 oil, but some sizes only come with SAE 30 motor oil.

Once I get the chucks cleaned up, and the bushings done, ... well, hoping to make some chips.

I was wondering if anyone had already documented/dimensioned the drawbar for the milling adapter, collet adapters and drawtube, spindle cover etc, for starter projects? I need to make parts for the 760 Taper attachment, and need to make the endmill adapter/drawbar parts.

Clausing has some of not all of the bushings that you might need for a lathe still available. Although I wouldn't delete it if someone did a bushing drawing and uploaded it, I haven't encouraged it, either. We all have a vested interest in keeping Clausing making such parts as they still carry available.

I don't recall whether or not we ever got the drawing for the lathe draw bar. If we did, it should be in the lathe accessories folder.

But when it comes to the 3AT collet closer and spindle adapter, those are definitely not starter projects. You are better off getting one from another owner or from some place like eBay. If you have a lot of use for collets, there are two ways that you can go. The simpler is to use a hand wheel operated draw tube. And a spindle adapter and spindle nose protector. They turn up pretty frequently, and you can ask here whether anyone has one that they don't need. Plus one or two vendors make and sell them. MyMachineShop.net is one such. He sells both direct and on eBay. There may be others.

The more expensive way is the 200B lever-operated collet closer that Atlas used to sell. It uses the same spindle adapter and nose protector as the hand wheel version does. Check one of the Atlas catalogs for what one looks like.

Clausing has been pretty good about sending either a PDF or a TIF of the original drawing of parts that they no longer stock. I would imagine that the belt cover falls into that category, although as it is a casting, you are probably better off finding a used one. But when you call to check on the bushings, you can give them the part number and see. I am pretty sure that we don't have that drawing.

For some reason you keep saying you don't have dates for older QC machines but you have mine in the thread. Post #88, page 3. Maybe you have a typo as my SN is 003825...

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...serial-numbers-and-bearing-dates.25328/page-3
They got up to something over 004882 before they changed and started pulling serial numbers out of the 10F block. The lowest dated serial number that we have is 083825 with bearing dates of 1948/06/30. We don't have any dates for the few 3- and 4-digit serial numbers in the database.

OK. I found you, listed as 083825. My mistake. I've corrected it in the master copy and will correct it next time that I do an upload to Downloads.

Update on my QCTH54 SN 004635: Front Spindle Bearing 2/20/49/ ;Race 2/24/49...Rear Brng 11/23/48 no data on race in my notes.

I finally got around to changing the belt last April, and took the opportunity to get bearing data as much as I could. Just spent 2 hours looking for my notes on the info.
Had spent some time resetting the position of the countershaft assembly per the tech bulletin, did some gear and backlash adjustments and was running very nice, and quiet. Still having an issue with the bed leveling staying consistent, and managed to drop my master level and break the bubble.

Got that repaired, and mounted the lathe on some 1/2 inch spacers at the mounting holes, as the bed casting had parts that were lower than the mounting flats. Made shims out of strapping, and while not level to the earth, is "level" to one mark on the level. Still have issues with always cutting a taper, and found that PO had bored out the first 1 1/2" of spindle MT3, so used PES101 steel epoxy to build back up and re-ream taper. Looked like that was going to work and then found my tailstock live center had a bad bearing, so that is off for repair. Using Edge Tech alignment tool and seems to be good on taper, but not sure about the runout now, so back to thinking and will see if can puzzle it out.

Also, while fiddling with the adjustments mentioned, managed to jam up something and broke the feed screw bearing. Got a used one from internet, but also ordered a new 10F-16 from Clausing to have a backup. Had to go thru a 3rd party rep, and took awhile, but got that today. Face price about what is going for used on internet, but shipping kicked up the price. The new part seems much sturdier in the walls, and looks more like aluminum, so hoping the shear qualities are similar enough to the original to prevent serious damage, should the need ever arise.

Used my mill attachment to make new steel gibs to replace the broken plastic ones. rebuilt a 1 x 42 belt sander to grind new dowel pins to make new 10-309 lock pins.

Also purchased a QC toolpost, and Edge tool height adjuster, so feeling pretty slick.

July 2019 our blacksmith shop at the museum burned down, so am trying to rebuild the VN12 mill, and will need the lathe tuned up to work on the shafts and parts I will need to make to get that working again.

Thanks for the updates on the bearing dates. Wish that Atlas had stuck to their SOP on assigning serial numbers instead of starting the QC models over @ 000001 for about four years and then gong back to that SOP. It mixes the early QC's with the 10C's and 10D's for a while.

I'll try to get the on-site lists updated over the weekend.

Back