Adding Reversing Drum Switch

Mark, for some reason the motor is marked to have the "Ungr'd" line (black) directly connected to P1. Switching the (white) neutral rather than the hot black does bug me but for some reason the motor is marked that way. It's also marked that way for 230V which makes little sense to me since neither line is a neutral.

If you wanted to change to 220v at some point here is how to do it: (P2 not connected)
Motswdiag220a.jpeg
Interchange 1 and 4 if the rotation doesn't match the switch

Last edited:
One error: It won't shut off; need to move T2 over and connect to T4. Only white (neutral) should be on lower right terminal.
Also (although not absolutely necessary) P2 could be moved over and join T3 on the upper left terminal.
Mark
ps You'll notice this hookup doesn't break the black hot wire when the switch is off. Not a problem really, but it bothers some people. You could in fact
swap the black and white line wires and the motor wouldn't know the difference.

Thanks! Now that's obvious when I look at it. I'll move T2 to the same terminal as T4 and white then goes to the terminal T2 was on. This results in the same connections when in the Forward position, only now in the OFF position the power circuit will be open.

What @CluelessNewB pointed out is bugging me also. So, if I swapped the black and white wires as you suggested, wiring white directly to P1 and black to the switch terminal white is on now, it would break the black/hot wire out of the circuit at the switch. That seems more logical. I guess it should work either way.

Last edited:
My gut feeling is that you could swap the black and white, they electrons shouldn't care ;).

Here is a similar diagram for a Leeson motor with the same connections but it doesn't have that note about the ungrounded line going to P1.

leeson_mtr.jpg

Back