Additive versus Subtractive technologies

cweber

Active User
Registered
This technology is really coming along.

http://www.technologyreview.com/view/421001/3-d-printing-on-a-gigantic-scale/

The can replicate metal objects now.

http://gpiprototype.com/services/dmls-direct-metal-laser-sintering.html

I wonder if this technology will ever be used in the model shops, like in my old workplace a decade ago, for manufacturing prototype parts than the traditional machining operations with a lathe and mill, etc. Seems the finish quality is not there yet and available metals for this additive process.

When I left my last workplace, they were already using 3D printing. These days they produce scaled down replicas for review. I have not seen any actual functional usable parts, particularly within real world environmental applications. However, with the advent of carbon nano tubes and so forth, maybe it will one day change how machining is implemented. One thing is for certain, new safety requirements; I wouldn't want to breath all that material in, especially the nano size stuff!

At my work we have an ABS printer. We regularly use it to create parts for prototypes, but with a recent software upgrade, it has the ability to create medium-high resolution parts. We are now using it to create a part for one of our products. The finish is slightly better than a what you would get with a roughing endmill.

-Cody

Hi cody,

Do you think that the next decade will see rapid advances such that lathes and mills become almost redundant tech for the home hobbiest?

I see peple are building their own systems at the moment and one day they will be affordable relative to the cost of good machinery today...

At my work we have an ABS printer. We regularly use it to create parts for prototypes, but with a recent software upgrade, it has the ability to create medium-high resolution parts. We are now using it to create a part for one of our products. The finish is slightly better than a what you would get with a roughing endmill.

-Cody

I don't think that we will ever see the day where traditional subtractive technology is replaced with purely additive technology. Especially for the home hobbyist. Even if you consider only repair work, there are simply things that you cannot do with additive tech. And vice versa. But to say that it will take over completely... Not in my lifetime, nor my sons I think.

Of course, if someone were to build a Star Trek style replicator......

-Cody

I think it's definitely going to revolutionize things. 3D printing companies are a hot ticket on the NASDAQ and there's a lot of money being pumped into them. As with anything, there will be learning curves and technology advancements. I can foresee how parts could be roughly made in 3D printers and finished on CNC and eventually, the resolution of the printers and the materials they can work with will allow some part to be entirely made with the 3D printer. I suspect they will work better with synthetic materials instead of steel -but that might change given enough time. As always, economics will rule... If the "replacement ink cartridges" cost a living fortune like they do for a normal printer or, if a given printer that handles a specific type of material is very expensive, it might take time before it becomes cost competitive with traditional manufacturing techniques.

EDIT: 3D printers are nothing new. 10 years ago, I was a director of a medical device company and we made many prototypes with 3D printers -they cost $10,000 each but that was still a lot cheaper than having a $100,000 die made.

Ray

Some of the materials remind me of how things went with Asbestos. Once they really start playing with chemical and metallurgical additives, in order to improve the characteristics of the materials used, I expect there will be much debate and legal requirments to sort out health and safety issues. This will also slow down the adoption of this technology for hobbiests.

In the mean time, I am looking to invest thousands into machinery which I certainly hope won't be destined for a museum in only a few years time :)

It's really hard to say. In my lifetime, which is only 44 years, we've gone from absolute basic electronic circuits to more computer power in postage stamp size device than it took to send men to the moon. I remember when the first digital calculators came out. The first one I ever saw had red 7 segment numbers. My dad blew 2 weeks pay on it and was the proudest guy in town. We went from mechanically produced "film only" photography and movies to high definition digital cameras in cell phones. Do I think I'll see a machine that can 3D print something that's as strong as a machined piece of steel in my lifetime...very likely....in my son's lifetime...almost guaranteed.

Manual lathes and mills have already been obviated from widespread manufacturing. The change took place en-masse in the mid 1980s. Despite this, there are still dozens of companies making manual machines. Simple carpentry tools such as hand saws and fine chisels, should theoretically be nonexistent since automated machines and routers easily replaced them; yet, the first thing you see in a hardware store are those basic tools. Digital cameras revolutionized common photography but, large format cameras and sheet film are still produced and sell in vast quantities...

I suspect history will (as usual) repeat itself. The game will change and we'll see many parts being made out of strange materials but, there will likely be a desire, need, time and place for the "traditional" techniques...

Ray

Some of the materials remind me of how things went with Asbestos. Once they really start playing with chemical and metallurgical additives, in order to improve the characteristics of the materials used, I expect there will be much debate and legal requirments to sort out health and safety issues. This will also slow down the adoption of this technology for hobbiests.

In the mean time, I am looking to invest thousands into machinery which I certainly hope won't be destined for a museum in only a few years time :)

Japanese woodworking tools are still in fashion; Ceramics was replaced for consumerism and if anything, creativity then abounded and enhanced this as an artform. However, these are examples of significantly cheaper activities to invest in than the machines people on this forum tend to buy today!

After 26 years in electronics, I've also seen a lot of change, some great things still on the horizon. Not being my area of expertise, with machining I don't have a feel for this type of revolutionary change occuring that rapidly. To me there is so much more to structural and environmental requirements that 3D printing solutions do not appear to resolve. We'll probably find new techniques and material science resolve that though...

I suspect history will (as usual) repeat itself. The game will change and we'll see many parts being made out of strange materials but, there will likely be a desire, need, time and place for the "traditional" techniques...

Ray

Back