Adjustable hand reamers

mirage100

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I need to ream a bushing in a piston rod. So I guess I need a adjustable hand reamer . I see the ones made in Inda . Are they any good. Can anyone recommed any . Thanks

I need to ream a bushing in a piston rod. So I guess I need a adjustable hand reamer . I see the ones made in Inda . Are they any good. Can anyone recommed any . Thanks

I don't have any experience with them. If you're using it for just one bushing, it might do the job. Depends on what their material choice was.

The wrist pin fit is one of the closest tolerance features in an engine. My preference would be to hone that. Another consideration is alignment. Most reamers will not have flutes long enough to bridge both sides of the piston. Likewise many hones. However, Sunnen makes a hone designed for connecting rods and wrist pin holes and parts with similar demands. I would go to great lengths to avoid a simple reamer if it were my project. For what it's worth, this is my opinion.

The India made ones I have from Enco are pretty crappy.

I'm afraid India would be just about the last place I would want a reamer from.

Maybe I hit a poor one but the adjustable Indian reamer I picked up for a job was junk. Fit and finish was horrible, it measured several thou different across the two sets of blades. Was not usable.

Greg

I'm afraid India would be just about the last place I would want a reamer from.

LOL! I agree. India does not have a good handle on metallurgy as far as I can tell.

BTW: I have the large set of adjustable reamers from Harbor Freight. -I use them once in a while -as a matter of fact, I used them today. They work but, an adjustable reamer is not going to give you a high precision cut like a machine reamer. About once a month, they come in hand though...

Ray

I wanted to throw my 2 cents in here, I 100% agree with Tony, Unless this is a very inexpensive motor, IE B&S lawnmower or something! I would bite the bullet and have them run at a machine shop! Just did a Isuzu diesel 4cyl, pressed new rod bushings in, and actually did play around, with a couple reamers etc, to get them sized, I told my buddy, I didn’t like how it was going, so I ran them up to my machine shop, and had them, power align honed on a sunnen machine! I think it was maybe 12$ a piece to have them align honed, on a machine meant for doing this! I also feel that I am able to sleep better night's, knowing I am not going to window a block, on a 6K$ engine! I guess I too am pretty cheap at times, but this is not the place to save any money! The tolerance is so close that even though they are being wet honed, they still let them cool to make the final fit! So the tolerance is really close!

Take Care Bob in Oregon

These reamers are availble not cheap, like Tony said, its all in alignment, kinda like align boring. The going price to have it done here is $100
for a V8...

Back