Adjustable parallels...

jaded13640

Active User
Registered
I had a chance to buy a complete set of adjustable parallels from a pawn shop for 35 bucks yesterday. A total steal right?

Here's the issue, I've never use them and they only come with one of each size.

How do you use them? I mean...you need two right? What's the point of having parallel(s) if you only have one?

What's the procedure for using the adjustable versions? I'll run up and snatch them up if I thought I could use them.

Thanks in advance,

Wayne

I had a chance to buy a complete set of adjustable parallels from a pawn shop for 35 bucks yesterday. A total steal right?

Here's the issue, I've never use them and they only come with one of each size.

How do you use them? I mean...you need two right? What's the point of having parallel(s) if you only have one?

What's the procedure for using the adjustable versions? I'll run up and snatch them up if I thought I could use them.

Thanks in advance,

Wayne

I'm not expert, but I think their main use is for measuring slots and such. Slip them in a slot that you just milled, leaving a section hanging out the end, tighten them up, then mic the area that is extended outside the work. Very handy for that and other such uses. You got a good deal (especially if they are Starrett).
I have a complete set that I got at an auction, and yes, there is just one of each.

Jack

Depends on the brand and on how many pieces there are. Enco sells a 4-piece set for about $60, against which $35 is only a modest bargain. However a Starrett 6-piece set will set you back more like $250.

There are plenty of other people on this forum with far more experience than I, to tell you how to use them.

They're not normally used like mill parallels. Here are few uses that I can think of.

They can be preset to a size and used like a gage block.
You can use them to get a measurement between two surfaces.
If you have something shaped like a fork you can use them to keep it from collapsing while machining.

If needed I can take some example pictures later.

The different sizes in a set overlap their adjustment ranges, somewhat, making it possible to adjust 2 as a pair.

Ahhh, I see. Yea, I'm looking for regular parallels for use in the mill vice to hold the workpiece up and true.

Sounds like a handy tool but not really what I need.

I didn't buy them. Again, I really didn't understand how they were used, especially for the use I would need them for.

Probably a decent deal but not what I'm looking for at this point.

Thanks,

Wayne

The different sizes in a set overlap their adjustment ranges, somewhat, making it possible to adjust 2 as a pair.
This is true, but only in a very limited range.

I have two sets and I use them often. Go and no- blocks is just one of many uses.

In my set there is overlap between sizes. EG; One will go up to 1.5" and the next larger one will go down to 1.5". Every one is capable of matching the next larger and the next smaller. Obviously if you use a pair you give up adjustability.

I'm not expert, but I think their main use is for measuring slots and such. Slip them in a slot that you just milled, leaving a section hanging out the end, tighten them up, then mic the area that is extended outside the work. Very handy for that and other such uses. You got a good deal (especially if they are Starrett).
I have a complete set that I got at an auction, and yes, there is just one of each.

Jack

Also used for setting the angle on your sine plate/bar.

They can be quite handy you may not use them often. Well worth having for $35.
B.J.

Back