Adjustable Surface grinder dresser

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
I don’t like that I have to move the SG wheel a significant amount to dress in the middle of a job.
I saw an adjustable dresser on a Youtube video.
Here is my version. It works great, I tried it out.
The base is from an extra surface gauge I had laying around. It locks up on the magnet rock solid.

Attachments

• E54B7B98-4559-4134-91E8-C073D1A4BC8E.jpeg
    E54B7B98-4559-4134-91E8-C073D1A4BC8E.jpeg
    333.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 8024EC56-9BF8-4503-A50D-FD70FF2BFC06.jpeg
    8024EC56-9BF8-4503-A50D-FD70FF2BFC06.jpeg
    318.2 KB · Views: 39
  • BAE1ED5F-4C4D-40B5-A026-B01D34A602F8.jpeg
    BAE1ED5F-4C4D-40B5-A026-B01D34A602F8.jpeg
    294.5 KB · Views: 39
Oh I see this thread now. This is neat and I could see it being handy a lot of the time. Thanks for sharing.

I don’t like that I have to move the SG wheel a significant amount to dress in the middle of a job.
I saw an adjustable dresser on a Youtube video.
Here is my version. It works great, I tried it out.
The base is from an extra surface gauge I had laying around. It locks up on the magnet rock solid.
Hmm I wonder how vibration affects the grind finish since this looks a lot less rigid than any of my dressing tools.

Are you going to do some testing and post results of the surface finish after grinding with a typical low height dresser versus your adjustable? Say yes please.

Ahha , I see it ! :grin:

Hmm I wonder how vibration affects the grind finish since this looks a lot less rigid than any of my dressing tools.

Are you going to do some testing and post results of the surface finish after grinding with a typical low height dresser versus your adjustable? Say yes please.
Well, that’s an interesting question.
Being a hobby guy, I assumed this would be rigid enough.
It sure feels like it will do the job.
I’ll play around with it and post on this thread in the next couple days.

Thanks for challenging me.

Well, that’s an interesting question.
Being a hobby guy, I assumed this would be rigid enough.
It sure feels like it will do the job.
I’ll play around with it and post on this thread in the next couple days.

Thanks for challenging me.
Great. I'd like to see what results you get. While I'm a home hobbyist I am a scientist and experimenter who loves to collect real world data. You should see what I do in fermenting to make a simple batch of cider

What do you think,
Is this too wimpy? You know this stuff.
The only issue I would worry about is vibration when dressing . I can see where it would save a few minutes when dressing and returning to work piece height , but ................................? On the other hand , most radius dressers are up in the air also . They DO vibrate also . I just stick to a wide base close to the chuck dresser .

The only issue I would worry about is vibration when dressing . I can see where it would save a few minutes when dressing and returning to work piece height , but ................................? On the other hand , most radius dressers are up in the air also . They DO vibrate also . I just stick to a wide base close to the chuck dresser .
Hmm,
This was made from scrap. The one I saw on a video was more robust. I can do robust.

Remember L over D like a boring bar . A large bar will cut but it will also chatter when the length is too large . :encourage:

Time to make the donuts here . :rolleyes:

Back