Adjusting Gibs

Dynahoe Dave

Registered
Registered
I read about adjusting the gibs, to get a little drag, then back off. I had the wiper covers off, as I was reasembling after replacing them, and cleaning the grease out of the ways and the lead screws, etc.. The saddle gib now sticks out past the metal piece that holds the felt wipers in place on the back. The saddle moves smoothly without binding, so what is the way to get the wiper cover to fit? shorten the gib or cut a notch in the wiper holder? Or maybe I missed some detail?

If your gib didn't stick out before adjustment you either have it too loose or there is trash in the gib way. Try removing the gib and cleaning out the way then reinstall and properly readjust. While adjusting move the saddle forward and backward while adjusting the gib. This should solve your problem.

The gib sticking out the back side is a sign of a worn way and gib. Mine was the same way and this is typical as Bridgeports wear on the Y axis.

The quick "fix" is to place a shim behind the gib. Probably will only take maybe ~0.005" or so. You could test with feeler gauges or small pieces of shim at both ends of the gib to get an idea.

Make sure when doing this you cut a hole for oil to come out the oil port through the gib. You don't want to block it. And make sure you put the shim on the back side, not the side where it would contact the knee way.

Ted

Ah, yes, that will fix it!
The ways are clean. The previous owner had pumped grease into the zerks, so I ended up taking it apart to clean it out.

Sorry, I missed the fact that the gib was sticking out the BACK. Agree with Technical Ted 100%. That's what I had to do on my Bridgeport.

Back