Adjusting the belt tightness on a 1440 asian lathe

If a ribbed belt is the same as a cogged belt, it should work with the existing pulleys, you just need the correct belt width. A link for reference, one of many sources.

V belts 4 less site

Awesome, thanks for that Dave. I was just going to do a search myself

Interesting, v belts are said to havema 95% efficiency, cogged belts around 98%
I,wanna do some reading on this

Hello Richl,
I bought mine just because I could and for once I wanted something new. Still reckon it is a lot of bang for the buck. Most of the problems I had were niggily little ones that the idiots at the dealers who supposedly gave it a PD check either did not pick up on or were just too lazy to fix. Yep, a ribbed belt will mean new pulleys and I have my eyes open looking for scrap I can make them from because A: I'm cheap, B: I'm always broke. The reason I'll go for a ribbed belt is one belt, easy adjustment and they are quiet, quality matched belts arn't cheap and I want to route away from the change gears for a future mod. Something to think about with link belts is they directional and reverse on your lathe reverses the motor.
For now at the stage you are could I make a suggestion? If it were me I'd remove the mount, clean up the adjustment slots and align the motor to the mount,(something I had to do), replace the mounting bolts with 12-point head ones to make using a ring spanner easier and use it while taking time to design a new motor mount. I agree a hinge would be far simpler and easier to adjust but I'm waiting until I get around to changing the belt. Have a look under a car bonnet at the alternator/ power steering/ air conditioning belts and how the adjusters work.
I look forward to see what you come up with.

Hi Dave,
Ribbed belts different than cogged, cogged will work on existing pulleys and better power transmission than solid section. Thanks for the link to that site there is some good info there.

That is basically the design I am going with. My older lathe has it also and I just changed the alternator last month:encourage:
The belts you are considering is a wider belt? I am OK with changing out the double belt idea. As I recall, double percis sion belts from gates are not exactly affordable. I know that from my rockwell lathe.:mad:

As for all the stuff, I don't mind, just wish I knew where all the shortcuts were made so I can chase them down. Bolts, they aren't that much money... the head alignment cap screws not being tightened and locked on... that's a bit much. Missing bolts holding the lathe to the cast iron base... hmm mm, cross threaded bolts. Missing handles for the gearing controls, yea... misaligned bolts for the gear cover...

I find whenever I pull something apart

Ok got the specs for wide ribbed and cogged. Think I'll have a visit to Napa tomorrow and see what they can get for me. Then design the pulleys from that
Thanks for the help norton

Back