Advantages v. Disadvantages of an X2 Mill tilting head

Lone Watie

Active User
Registered
What are the advantages v. disadvantages of the tilting head on the Grizzly G8689 Mill or other X2 variants?

Having owned an HF X2 for 2 years now, I may be qualified to comment on this. I have never had the need to tilt the collum.
Prior to purchasing my Mill used, I spent roughly 3 years following the GrizHFMills group and several other mini mill groups, and over that time I don't recall anyone that did. In fact, most owners go to great lengths to add stiffining to the collum with a plate that bolted to both the base and collum. Seems that without this stiffening plate, heavy cutting and vibration can cause the mill to go out of tram. Mine has at least once.

That makes sense, which would explain why LMS is sold out of the non-tilting head mills and has the tilting ones in stock and less $$$.

The X2 still a good machine in my estimation. I wouldn't easily give mine up. It performs well for what I do with it. I purchased mine used from a young engineer that had moved up to a Brigeport clone. It came with the belt drive, clamp set, vise, and R-8 collet set. I've added a Rotary Table, Boring head, air spring, Z rack extension, and recently added a 1 1/2 hp tradmill motor and controller. I'm currently working on a power feed for the X axis.

Thanks for the info - I'm not ready to move up from my lathe yet, but will be getting there soon (I hope), and trying to decide which model to get of the X2.

Can not speak about the X2. At work we have a CNC version of the X3. Mill is good but the electrics fail. Boss will not part with it so we will use it as a very expensive drill press.

You might take a look at the Grizzly G0704 alot more mill for a few dollars more.

Back