Adventures in 3D printing

pretty interesting subject. Is the filament expensive?
Yes, I do think so, and would not be commercially viable to make volume production because of this cost and the time it takes for printing. However, for a one-time part, fixture, prototype, or custom application 3D printing is an amazing technology.

More on the cost. Low-end materials are fairly cheap. I buy discontinued/on-sale material off Matterhackers, where you can score PLA at around 40-50 dollars a kilo. BTW you need to pay attention as some spools are only 0.35 kg, others 0.5x or 0.75 kg so compare prices with this in mind. I actually don't like PLA at all, just as I avoid PVA.

Engineering materials like carbon fiber/nylon print with much greater accuracy (in my limited experience FWIW), but are more expensive. I would say my favorites so far are:
- CF/N12 that is $208/kg (!!!),
- Jabil SEBS-95A which is a rubber like soft material is $86/kg, and
- PETG, which is chemical resistant, and is about $100/kg.
Kimya PEKK CF is now *ON SALE* at Matterhackers for $900 / kg, but read up on its properties: top shelf engineering stuff. That said, ABS and ABS-R will do 90% of what I need.

For supports, SR-30 and RapidRinse are amazing and in a different league than PVA; the cost is an eye-watering $264/kg $$$. Check out prices on the Makerbot website here.

And then there is metal: BASF Ultrafuse is $450 for a 3kg spool, but that includes debinding and sintering.

That said you don't use a lot of material. My prints are generally 20-40 grams and the biggest part so far was 110 grams (the video accessory shown a few posts above); so a 0.75 kg spool goes far. I have gotten a stash of filament and I need to stop buying:

ab4073d3a2005c30b13c04867f7d24e0.jpg

Last edited:
eSun PLA+ @$24/kg, eSun ABS @$22/kg, CF PTEG @$45/kg and QDID CF PA12 (nylon) @99/kg.

Just printed 57 grams of PLA, about $1.36 in PLA. Dirt cheap.

What kind of projects do you print? Will check out eSun, for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Are you guys storing your thread in a dry box?

Are you guys storing your thread in a dry box?

Yes spools are in Mylar bags with several bags of desiccant each. Plus I am in Arizona.

What kind of projects do you print? Will check out eSun, for sure!

Latest. CNC bits for a PM-30MV mill. Three tries :) First was left, wrong dim on two front mounts. Second was back, goofed moving the mounts and now three are off. Hahaha. Last was right, with electronics mounted.

IMG_2518.JPG

This is up next I think. X-Axis stepper mount. The real mount will come with the CNC kit some time. Until then, this will work fine for a power x-axis.

Untitled.png

CF Nylon or CF PETG or ABS. Can't decide. Any means swapping to the high temp extruder on my QIDI i-fast.

I mentioned the dry box as I am sure not everyone would know about this.
Pierre

Back