Adventures in my new-to-me Enco Lathe

Dual voltage motors, while they are capable of running on two voltages rarely have any torque in the lower voltage and end up putting a real strain on the motor and the electrical circuit. You will be much happier if you go with 220V single phase.

Well a bit of an update, not really a good one either

Here's at least a picture of a cut. I'm realizing now there was better speeds for me to have used, but it's not too terrible considering the circumstances
1596514064899.png

Now onto the bad news.

1) I decided I ordered the wrong RPM from the motor. According to the grizzly manual for the g9249 it should have been a 1725RPM, not a 3450. I assume this is true for the 92030 but with maybe a 1.5hp motor instead.

2) My drive pulley is inverted, I think... I need to spend some time wrapping my head around what's going on, but in the morning. The issue is that the B side is increasing in speed instead of decreasing.

Here are the speeds I'm supposed to be getting (ignored the back Gear speeds):
1596514380682.png

And here's my results
AC 1280
Ad 1120
AE 870
BC 2500
BD 2060
BE 1580

Basing the image in the diagram against the pulley setup, everything appears correct, but clearly it isn't. Only other thinking is that some pulley got replaced at some point.

In other fun news the back gear didn't come with a key so I'll have to wait for that to come now, but apparently I may also be waiting for a new motor while trying to sell this old one...
1596516352711.png

Your right, looking at your image in Post #2, your pulleys on the motor DON'T appear to be backwards. But the drive pulleys in Post #8 do appear to be on backwards.

Just a thought on the 3400 rpm motor , what if you got a 3 or 4 grove pulley that's just a little smaller then the large size of the one that's on it , maybe make the motor mount adjustable side to side or an easy way to slide the pulley on the motor shaft , then you would have a very nice range of speeds if the headstock bearings can handle it

Measured the pulley diameters to run the numbers and figure out what's up. The motor pulley was definitely on backwards when I got it.

Here's the configuration I'm currently running
1596569593390.png

And this would be the correct configuration:
1596569778301.png

Meaning they also replaced the pulley from a 4" and 2" to a 4" and 3"

The idea of using a smaller pulley but keeping the motor the same is interesting but in order to get into the same sort of low end range I'd need a pulley with a diameter of 20mm. Smallest stepped pulley you can conceivably get for a 5/8" shaft is 1 3/4". I bit the bullet and ordered a 1725rpm 1-1/2hp like it probably had originally and will either repurpose the 3450rpm 2hp or try and sell it to get some of the money back. I also ordered a pulley with 4, 3, and 2" sizes

Had a change of heart partway through the day. Canceled the shipment for the motor and I'm going to see what I can figure out first. Then I tried canceling the mcmaster pulley but I guess they're sending it anyways and don't want it back. Thanks guys.

I see now that the previous owner had faced off a similar 3 step pulley to make it fit, hence why it was a 4" and 3". I'm tempted to just buy the motor and pulley for the grizzly g9249 but there's no documentation on it so it's a guess if it will fit. Need to see what other options there are.

I got the back gear apart after some coercion of the oil bushings to see about the fitment on the back gear. Definitely not going to fit. The grizzly is a 58x21 and I counted that the large gear on my back gear is 52. I don't know for certain what the small gear on the original backgear was, but I'm guessing 21 by how close the 22 came to fitting. This led me to a Jet 3211 series lathes which uses a backgear that looks about the same, but the only place I found it was this store that seems a bit questionable: https://www.toolpartspro.com/jet-parts/jet-321110-parts/jet-04109a-gear
1596654008711.png

The small pinion on the grizzly was rubbing into the pulley at best.
photo_2020-08-05_15-20-24.jpg
The big buy wouldn't have fit at all
1596655395458.png

Here you can see the obvious size difference:
1596655416612.png

If anyone has any opinions between buying a cheap 1 phase VFD from china or swapping for a correct 1725RPM motor I'd be interested in hearing them.

Mike

Had a change of heart partway through the day. Canceled the shipment for the motor and I'm going to see what I can figure out first. Then I tried canceling the mcmaster pulley but I guess they're sending it anyways and don't want it back. Thanks guys.

I see now that the previous owner had faced off a similar 3 step pulley to make it fit, hence why it was a 4" and 3". I'm tempted to just buy the motor and pulley for the grizzly g9249 but there's no documentation on it so it's a guess if it will fit. Need to see what other options there are.

I got the back gear apart after some coercion of the oil bushings to see about the fitment on the back gear. Definitely not going to fit. The grizzly is a 58x21 and I counted that the large gear on my back gear is 52. I don't know for certain what the small gear on the original backgear was, but I'm guessing 21 by how close the 22 came to fitting. This led me to a Jet 3211 series lathes which uses a backgear that looks about the same, but the only place I found it was this store that seems a bit questionable: https://www.toolpartspro.com/jet-parts/jet-321110-parts/jet-04109a-gear
View attachment 332577

The small pinion on the grizzly was rubbing into the pulley at best.
View attachment 332579
The big buy wouldn't have fit at all
View attachment 332580

Here you can see the obvious size difference:
View attachment 332581

If anyone has any opinions between buying a cheap 1 phase VFD from china or swapping for a correct 1725RPM motor I'd be interested in hearing them.

Mike

I can go out to storage and measure what ever you need on my G9249 if you let me know exactly what you need.

I can go out to storage and measure what ever you need on my G9249 if you let me know exactly what you need.
Motor shaft length and diameter, then the width spacing for the screw holes:

1596667805176.png

Thanks!

OK, I got out to storage today and made the measurements. These are for my motor and my G9249 which I purchased in 2000.

As you can see the layout is very different, my numbers are shown in red.
Motor Dimensions.JPG
Here is an image of the plate on my motor.
IMG_20200807_134124315.jpg

Here is an image of my motor pulleys.
IMG_20200807_134909910.jpg

Back