Advice and recommendations request

jwmay

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I’m considering upgrading to an industrial rated machine. I need it to be about 6 feet tall, but I want as much rigidity and table strength and size as I can get. And I want it to be fairly quiet.

I’ve considered trying to retrofit a big cast iron table onto my current import, as most of my issues with it have to do with the table. But I’m fairly realistic about my ability to carry that out well. So...what’s your dream drill press? Wait wait...what’s MY dream drill press? It’s 6 feet tall, super heavy, has a really big rigid table on a rack and pinion for elevation. It’s quiet, rock solid, and roomy. What do you recommend?

Maybe look for a used DoAll drill press. There has been a couple here within 2 hours travel each way for under a $1000. If you want really industrial. Maybe a Asquith , Stanko , Archdale, Kitchen and Wade, or Union radial drill but you will need riggers to move it. There is a nice Union close to me power X and Z with #6 MT but it weighs 7 -8 ton :grin:
Cheers
Martin

Last edited:
Probably should have said it’s got to go in a 75” deep basement, and down storm cellar type stairs. But I will definitely do some searching of those brands, as I’ve never heard of any of them. Thanks!

Clausing 2275

1525008989131.png

One should turn up on Craigslist or eBay.

What sort of drilling capacity do you need?
Maybe a knee mill would suit better

Cheers Phil

A 1” drilling capacity is sufficient. A knee mill isn’t in my immediate future, although I may someday buy one. But I do use my mill/drill for spotting and placing holes. It’s just that the drill press is taller, belt changes are easier and quicker, the chuck is faster operating, the table goes up and down fast. So after the holes are located, I move to the drill press. But yes I agree that a knee mill would solve the problem. I just don’t want to haul it downstairs.

I like that Clausing. Thank you for the suggestions.

Have you considered a milling/drilling machine such as the Rong Fu and clones? While not exactly what you're looking for, they are super heavy and have a good work envelope.

Buffalo Forge drill presses are strong machines . I think they are called Buffalo Machine Company now . Still in business .

Back