Advice for a New Machinist Student..

JMarion

Registered
Registered
I start fall quarter (Sep.25) at my local community college (Everett Community College, Everett,WA), I'm going for my ATA in Advanced Manufacturing Tech and Precision Machining. The Location of were the classes are held is an awesome state of the art precision machining/welding/mechatronics/composites facility called AMTEC, Im extremely excited but also nervous, is there any advice or tips or anything anyone could pass my way that would possibly help me along my path to becoming a Machinist.

My advise would be to come to this site often, share what is going on, what you are learning, what you might not fully understand. There is a enormous amount of knowledge here just waiting to be shared with someone who in interested. btw, sharing pictures of the projects that you work on is the currency that goes the furthest here :)

Boswell is right on all accounts, I might add that asking questions is a good thing here. This is a good group and they are not happy with the guy that bullies someone asking a beginners question. The description of the school even makes me nervous, stay as calm as you can, think thngs through and if in doubt ask the instructor. You are getting into a vocation that put men on the moon and back. Good Luck!
Ray

Last edited:
Be a sponge. Learn and absorb as much as you can.

As a journeyman machinist of 42 years , best advice I could give someone would be to keep your ears and eyes open , ask questions when in doubt and enjoy your learning experiences . Your learning never ends in this trade as technology is ever changing . Wish you the best of luck ! :encourage:

I agree with Dave, above, I entered my apprenticeship in 1972, 47 years ago, got may card in 3 years and 7 months (overtime) And I'm still learning. Still making tools, too. but for myself for 18 years.
I feel it's my bounden duty to pass on the knowledge I've accumulated because hand work doesn't seem to be taught any more.

Ask all you want here, vent, too, we'll help you understand.

I feel it's my bounden duty to pass on the knowledge I've accumulated because hand work doesn't seem to be taught any more.

Something is going to happen at work tomorrow morning before I get off . 100% sure of it . I'll most likely be stepping up a notch .

Something is going to happen

I hope it's something you're looking forward to. You've got me beat by 14 year of profitable work. I only worked (for others) at toolmaking for 28 years.

I'm going to be responsible for a few new hires with little to no experience , so it's relative to the OP's questions . I told my manager that if these people showed interest , I would train them . If they are not looking for a future in the trade and just there for a paycheck , ya better let them move on . I'm not really looking forward to this , as I try to avoid the crowds of daylight shift . :grin:

Just have pride in your work and you will be far ahead of the game. There is plenty of knowledge on the professional sites, but this place has knowledge + passion. Not many hang onto the latter in this trade for very long, but it is important.

Stay humble and learn from anybody who is willing to teach.

I am 24 years into my career and searching for my next mentor.

One could spend several lifetimes in machining and never learn it all. My father and grandfather (both machinists) would probably have given similar advice.

Last edited:
Back