• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I will not be around. I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

Advice for Mounting Boring Head for Ball Turner

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Hozzie

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I am pretty new to all of this and before I did something stupid I wanted to ask for some feedback. I was going to build a version of the Bedair ball turner and then starting looking at the boring head versions and decided that was much simpler for what I needed to do. This will be for Aluminum 90% of the time.

I bought a 2" Shars boring head set with a 3/4" shank and I have a boring bar mount for the BXA QCTP which has a 1" hole with a 3/4" collar for smaller bars. The boring head shank fits very nice in that collar. The shank it is threaded on the end so I plan to simply screw a bolt through a larger end cap which will hold my handle. I was looking at what I have to do this and the largest steel stock I have is 1-1/4". I have some black delrin that is I believe 2" which I thought could also work well as it has very little friction.

So my dilemma is I see a few options:

1: Use the steel 3/4" collar and buy steel to use on the back end to mount the handle (I think the 1-1/4" may be a bit small). I will still probably cut 2 delrin washers for between the QCTP holder and boring head and back side and the holder.

2: Use the 3/4" collar and use the Delrin on the back side to hold the handle and create a delrin washer between the boring head and holder.

3: Create a single Delrin piece that is the 3/4" collar and back side for holding the handle as one piece. Still create a delrin washer for between the boring head and holder.

I realize the Delrin is not as strong as the steel, but I am not sure it matters that much in this scenario. Am I crazy for thinking of just using the Delrin and making a one piece holder that will fit in the boring bar holder?

Some pics of what I have. I had the holder the wrong way, but you get the idea.
i-Qkp8F6F-L.jpg
i-gJKQqMq-L.jpg
i-ZzJzP9s-L.jpg

Thanks!

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)

BillWood

Registered
Registered
I made mine out of Delrin and got lots of chatter.

Hozzie

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I made mine out of Delrin and got lots of chatter.
Thanks, I think I will just order some steel and do it with that. I would rather do it once than twice.

I'd use a couple brass thrust washers and oil the shaft before using. I think I'd install stops on the swing travel. Or make it useable with a ratchet to keep the handle easy to operate. Just my observations on these.

[6]
[5] [7]