[Newbie] Advice machining stainless steel.

coffeemaker

Registered
Registered
Hello.

I'm new to machining. I want to make a stainless steel version of the Aeropress coffee maker (actually just the two parts on the left):
aeropress-3.jpg

Here are images of my desgin (happy to supply the actual files if needed):
Aero key v6.png Aero lid v8.png
I plan to weld the part of the left to a 5" long 2.5" diameter tube of stainless steel.

I have access to Tormach CNC Mill. Which I think is a lightweight machine but that's just what I've been told.

I've been researching the different types of stainless steel and found 303, 304, and 316. From what I've read, 304 is the hardest to machine so I can cross that off the list. 303 is the easiest but is difficult to weld which is how I was planning on attaching the left part to the tube. That leaves 316 which I've read is a little easier than 304.

My question is, how difficult is it to machine may parts out of stainless steel and is it out of the question for a newbie to be able to do with a Tormach CNC Mill?

Aero key v6.png

Aero lid v8.png

aeropress-3.jpg

Stainless steel has a tendency to work harden. Keep your speeds and feeds with in the recommended range and use plenty of coolant.
The parts look pretty thin, I would recommend TIG welding if you have access to one

You will almost certainly have to make the part big then machine after welding, a part with such a thin section is going to walk a good deal.

Aeropress. Best cup I ever had and I'm a coffee snob.

Stainless steel has a tendency to work harden. Keep your speeds and feeds with in the recommended range and use plenty of coolant.
The parts look pretty thin, I would recommend TIG welding if you have access to one

I have access to a tig welder although I've never used it. I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the tip.

I can make it thicker. It's currently 0.12" thick (for no particular reason). What's a good minimum thickness for welding?

Do you know where I can find the recommended speed and feed range for 316?

You will almost certainly have to make the part big then machine after welding, a part with such a thin section is going to walk a good deal.

I can make it thicker. What's a good thickness? The tube comes with a wall thickness of 0.12" and so I made the part the same thickness...

Aeropress. Best cup I ever had and I'm a coffee snob.

Hahaha. Me too! I keep needing to get new chamber pieces because they warp/melt over time from the hot water. That's why I had the idea to make it out of stainless steel. Stainless steel Aeropress would be sweet, right!

Incase anyone is interested or confused, this is how it should look when it's finished and assembled.
Aero v4 2.png Aero v4 1.png

I can make it thicker. What's a good thickness? The tube comes with a wall thickness of 0.12" and so I made the part the same thickness...
The tube will likely be fine, the flat part will cause problems if it needs to retain its shape to function, I would leave .05" or more on each side for finish machining after welding, I do not know the part dimensions or welding process planned therefore am guessing from a good deal of experience however..

Good Luck

The tube will likely be fine, the flat part will cause problems if it needs to retain its shape to function, I would leave .05" or more on each side for finish machining after welding, I do not know the part dimensions or welding process planned therefore am guessing from a good deal of experience however..

Good Luck

Can you think of a better way to attach the thin piece to the tube, even if it's a major design change?

Back