Advice on a Compound Lead Screw

Another option is to replace the bent Acme section and keep the rest - much easier and faster to do. You just need to cut the bent threaded section off, turn a pin on the end and fit it into a hole in the new threaded rod. I recommend that you silver solder it and pin it in place but this will be a permanent fix and will work like new.

Reactions: tjb
Terry,

With regards to you question about Grizzly G9249 fitting other similar lathes. I have a Jet 1022P. It was missing the metric treading gears. After comparing the drawings and gear tables, it looked like the grizzly gears would work. My biggest concern was potentially a different bore size. I took a chance and ordered them, and they fit perfect. I can't say the compound screw would fit, but there does appear to be some compatibility between parts. For $40 it might just be worth the time saved?

Another option is to replace the bent Acme section and keep the rest - much easier and faster to do. You just need to cut the bent threaded section off, turn a pin on the end and fit it into a hole in the new threaded rod. I recommend that you silver solder it and pin it in place but this will be a permanent fix and will work like new.
That's a GREAT idea! Thanks for the tip, and I'll keep that in mind.

Terry,

With regards to you question about Grizzly G9249 fitting other similar lathes. I have a Jet 1022P. It was missing the metric treading gears. After comparing the drawings and gear tables, it looked like the grizzly gears would work. My biggest concern was potentially a different bore size. I took a chance and ordered them, and they fit perfect. I can't say the compound screw would fit, but there does appear to be some compatibility between parts. For $40 it might just be worth the time saved?
Thanks, and that's reassuring. This biggest concern about compatibility is the 'M15' in the Grizzly's part description. I wondered out loud to the tech if that might indicate it's metric. He wasn't sure but agreed that it's highly likely. For forty bucks, we may end up finding out.

Regards

Before ordering grizzly I would ask about the thread pitch. I was considering buying a g0752 I had to travel to Missouri and wanted to see it before ordering. When there I noted the cross slide was approximately 0.100 per rev but not quite. I suspect it was 4 threads / cm as it was about 0.005 off. I quickly decided I'd but precision Matthews and forget grizzly. Matt at pm thought they had changed that but at least not the floor model. None of the sales people could confirm

Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before ordering grizzly I would ask about the thread pitch. I was considering buying a g0752 I had to travel to Missouri and wanted to see it before ordering. When there I noted the cross slide was approximately 0.100 per rev but not quite. I suspect it was 4 threads / cm as it was about 0.005 off. I quickly decided I'd but precision Matthews and forget grizzly. Matt at pm thought they had changed that but at least not the floor model. None of the sales people could confirm

Greg

Thanks, Greg.

When I called tech support at Grizzly, they couldn't give me ANY specs on the part. I strongly suspect I'll end up attempting to fix my lead screw, but I'd still love to hear from someone who has a Grizzly 9249. Anybody?

Regards
Terry

The G0752 is the VFD version of the G0602. The 602 compound lead screw is an M8-1.0mm RH Vee thread.

I did not scrutinize the compound slide but a 1mm pitch would be 0.039/rev. Which is close to what I saw

The cross slide had a dial for 0.100 /rev. If it was a 2.5 mm pitch this would be 0.098/rev which is what I saw. (Seems I have to do the math to remind the mind :).

I would have preferred a all metric machine that these funny approximations

The 602 cross slide lead screw has a diameter of 10mm and a pitch of 1.50mm. It is a LH Vee thread. The dial is calibrated for .060"/rev. but is actually .05906".

The 602 cross slide lead screw has a diameter of 10mm and a pitch of 1.50mm. It is a LH Vee thread. The dial is calibrated for .060"/rev. but is actually .05906".
Thanks, RJ.

That definitely will NOT cross over to my machine.

Regards

Back