Advice on a Craigslist Atlas 618

SuperTroye

Registered
Registered
Hi All,
I am looking for a beginner lathe to learn on and make small parts for general purpose/around the house type stuff. This Atlas 618 is for sale on Craigslist and I was hoping to get some feedback on the ad.

It looks like it has the armature attachments. I called the owner and he said everything is original and he thinks it was bought in the 70's. It looks like there is a milling attachment and 4 jaw chuck included.

Is there a set of change gears that goes with this lathe?

I know it's difficult to assess the condition from pictures alone, but, any advice or questions you would ask would be helpful.

Thanks

https://richmond.craigslist.org/tls/6117542421.html

00q0q_5QW3qwkixB4_1200x900.jpg

00s0s_fngIC1bexzc_1200x900.jpg

00B0B_e9e6ivJoS74_1200x900.jpg

01313_hn8YmujtUiL_1200x900.jpg

00Z0Z_dzxisnZSAaG_1200x900.jpg

Hello, I would think there should be a set of change gears. Check everything out really well. Take the Time and Do this. I see that the steady rest may not be the original and that it has been brazed. You may want to try and see if you can purchase for less. The machine looks like it has been sitting un-used for a while, which means take it apart, clean, lube etc. I would not purchase this machine because it does not have a gear box. And I do not see change gears shown in the picture. Never Pay Too Much. Al.

It has the milling attachment, and the attachment for reconditioning motor armatures, and the jacobs armature chuck. Check prices on E-bay for those two attachments, and you will be surprised.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/atlas-6-inch-lathe-accessories/

Talk to him, he might have the gears, and colets for the milling attachment, and the 3 jaw, somewhere, just does not know what they go to.

https://www.ebay.com/p/?iid=222510101162&&&chn=ps

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atlas-Lathe...802055?hash=item33ce241047:g:-scAAOSwpkFY5nHN

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atlas-Press...603057?hash=item2cbc4b27f1:g:9RwAAOSw2gxY0y~X

Last edited:
If you're patient you can get a small Logan, South Bend, Clausing, Sheldon etc for the same price and they won't take up any more space than that one. I had one of those and an equivalent Craftsman version and would not recommend it at that price. Here's a free Monarch in Gaithersburg: https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/zip/6144886680.html

That thing is pretty well equipped. It would be a great find for somebody interested in restoration. In that case the price isn't really out of line or at least not that much. As a tool, maybe, but as a project returned to cherry, not bad.

And I would ask them to look for the change gears.

Troye,

Yes, the full set count of standard gears that came with a 618 is 14, plus three on the Tumbler and one on the spindle. It appears to have the standard factory default set installed. So there should be 9 more. Go to DOWNLOADS and get the 1950 dated 618 owners and parts manual. The later ones are also there but the 1950 one is the cleanest scan and has had some corrections made that haven't been done to the later ones.

I see the drawbar and 1/2" milling cutter holder in the photos. So I serious doubt that he has any collets. The collet set that was available for the 618 was pretty limited. And quite rare. Although I am not fond of the ER style collets, for working holding on a 618, they are probably the best choice.

My opinion is that assuming he has the 9 change gears, it is worth on the east cost about $550, or $450 without. The table I would value at about $10.00. It's too flimsy and too large. It may be pretty heavy but it isn't stable.

If you were to follow some of the advice above and go for a 10", 11" or 12", (a) don't get anything shorter than 30" between centers and 36" is better. But they will take up twice as much room as the 618. And with the same mix of accessories, expect to pay between 2X and 4X what he is asking. But iIf you really need or want a 6", the 618 is probably the best one ever built..

Ok thank you to all who have responded. He is willing to go to $650, but the change gears are still not found. Will report back. I may have to find something else. There is a Logan and a South Bend 10K also for sale, for $1500 and $2000 respectively. But, I wanted to start small and work my way up.

Decide what you want to be doing, figure out what size it will take, then buy the correct tools the first time. You can machine small parts on a big lathe, but not the other way around.

Two + years ago I had a need for a lathe for a specific item. I was living in a 1 car garage townhouse at the time, so was really space limited. I ended up buying a Seig (harbor freight) 7x12 because I could put it on the shelf when not in use. Now getting started is expensive. I ended up spending 2-3 times the cost of the lathe on startup stuff. Then life happened and I now have a country house with a shop. And that Seig is just sitting; very little of the tools and bits can be transferred to the 14" I now use.

Decide what you want to be doing, figure out what size it will take, then buy the correct tools the first time. You can machine small parts on a big lathe, but not the other way around.

Two + years ago I had a need for a lathe for a specific item. I was living in a 1 car garage townhouse at the time, so was really space limited. I ended up buying a Seig (harbor freight) 7x12 because I could put it on the shelf when not in use. Now getting started is expensive. I ended up spending 2-3 times the cost of the lathe on startup stuff. Then life happened and I now have a country house with a shop. And that Seig is just sitting; very little of the tools and bits can be transferred to the 14" I now use.

This is great advice... regardless of whatever you're buying (boats, motorcycles, tools, been there done that). My budget and appetite is for a small lathe (directive from the boss). I was looking at the Grizzly mini lathe line, and just couldn't go with plastic gears. So, my work will be limited to go kart parts, gate hinges, small tools, etc.

In a couple of years if I need something bigger I will trade up.

Also, the buyer accepted a $550 offer. Picking up tonight.

Back