Advice on a Craigslist Atlas 618

To flesh out what I wrote about the Sears versions of the Atlas 6" Mk1, the actual 618 was made from 1937 to 1972 with Timken bearings and 1"-10 spindle nose. The reference several places on the Internet about the early 618's having 1"-8 spindle nose threads is simply wrong. The 618 never and anything but 1"-10. And there was no change to the 618 spindle in 1958.

The confusion is between the early Atlas 618's and the Craftsman 101.07301, caused in part by people erroneously calling it a 618. For whatever reason but no doubt because someone at Sears insisted, the 101.07301 alone had the 1"-8 spindle threads. It was made from 1939 through mid-1957 (not 1958). The differences between it and the Atlas 618 are (or were originally) only in the headstock, bed and legs. It had Oilite sleeve spindle bearings. So the rest of the spindle was also different. And it had a ball thrust bearing similar to that used in the Atlas 9" and in the 10" models supplied with babbit bearings. The headstock casting, cover, spindle gear spacer and spindle pulley bushings are also different. The bed was different (because it had to mount a different headstock). And the legs were different (because Sears wanted them different). The remainder of the headstock and all other parts on the machine were when the lathe came out the same as on the 618.

I haven't yet pinned down the year, but possibly as early as 1940 Atlas made the 3rd and final change to the countershaft assembly on the 618 (the first version attached to the headstock instead of to the bench or stand and was only made for a couple of years), It changed from having a short bracket with the countershaft hanger sticking up to a taller curved bracket with the hanger hanging down from its pivot point on the bracket (quite similar to the one used on all of the 10F's). For whatever reason, the same change was never made to the 101.07301 (although they are often found today with the later countershaft, at least in part because an owner somewhere over the years acquired the lathe without a countershaft and bought the later version either because he wanted to or because it was more plentiful.

Atlas ceased production of the 101.07301 in mid 1957 and replaced it with the 101.21400. The 101.21400 is identical to the Atlas 618 except for having Craftsman badges. So it is at least approximately correct to say that there are two versions of the Craftsman Mk1 - the 101.07301 and the 101.21400. And the earlier model was the one that had 1"-8 spindle nose threads. But it is totally incorrect to call it a 618.

Yes, that is where my confusion came from, I thought the 618, and craftsman were the same thing. Both of my Mk1's, are craftsman's. When I wrote to clausing many years ago, they gave me all the information that was labeled as Atlas 618's.

here is what Clausing sent me, indicating the 101.07301 was made late 30' to late 40's. and my MK2, was around the 60's. I always thought the MK2, came out in the mid 70's.

George,
Copies of the information requested attached - regret can not tell you the manufacture dates as the serial number records were not kept - the 07301 would've been in the late 1930's to mid late 1940's and the 3950 likely 1960's.
Regret we do not have a published price list at this time - if you advise items required we will be happy to check and advise.
Best regards,

Jolene (Jo) Olds
Customer Service Manager

1819 N Pitcher St
Kalamazoo, MI 49007

George,

From late 1957 on, the Craftsman model was a 618. But Jo had the dates off a little. I have scans (courtesy of a place once called Rose Antique Tools) of all of the Craftsman Power Tools catalogs from 1931 through 1972/73 and originals from then through 1982 (the year after Atlas lathe production ceased). The 101.07301 was as I wrote earlier (all years are Catalog Year), 1939 through 1957 (early). The 101.21400 (which as I said is a 618 with Craftsman nameplates) first appeared in the Fall 1957 Big Book. And last appeared in the 1972/3 Power Tools Catalog. It was replaced in late '72 by the 101.21200, which was an Atlas 3950 (6" Mk2) with Craftsman nameplates. The 101.21200 appears in the 1973/74 through 1976/77 catalogs. And not in the 1977/78.

The 3950 and 101.21200 had a ball bearing spindle and cast iron headstock. In early production, except for the bed and legs, the rest of it was the same as the 618 except no countershaft. And the bed had a different part number because the headstock mounting hole pattern was different on the Mk2. Sometime in 1977, the 3950 was replaced by the 10100 (with Timken bearings). And still with cast iron headstock. There is no evidence that Sears ever sold the 10100. So all Craftsman Mk2's should have ball bearings.

One other thing on the Lathes UK site that is a little misleading is that there is an implication in one place that the first Mk2's had Zamak headstocks. This is not correct. Only the last few hundred had Zamak.

SuperTroye & I just struck a deal on the armature set. I printed the instructions from the Vintage Machinery website. None of my starters or generators are safe now. I remember watching an old guy (he was probably 50 or so, I'm 60 now) when I was 17 turn the generator armature for my 49 Ford F1. He wiped off everything he touched before and after using and turned it in what was probably a South Bend 9 or 10. My dream is now coming true. Any suggestions where to start looking for saws? I paid a little more than I really hoped, but I know the money is going for a good cause, and the tool will have a good home. I may even make a box to store the parts in! Thank you SuperTroye!

E-mail clausing. They have been responsive to my e-mails. If they don't have the saws, maybe they could give you the specs. I think you mainly need the inside diameter (which you could get when you recieve the cutter), and the thickness.

info@clausingsc.com
I was also looking, and thinking. Glad it is going to a good home. Looking forward to the pictures.

Many years ago, I had a small hand saw for cutting the armatures, Took awhile, but still did the job.

Hi All and thanks TinnerJohn... didn't know you were here. Have fun with the armature set. I love that these old tools are still very much needed!

The slitting saws for the armature undercutter are relatively expensive, probably because they are quite small and there isn't as much demand as there once was. I have an NOS set. If Clausing doesn't still have them and can't supply the dimensions. let me know.

I've taken everything apart, degreased and getting ready for paint. Can someone tell me how to remove the carriage rack?

IMG_5188.JPG

It looks like there are 2 locating pins that either need to be punched out, or come out with the rack.
IMG_5189.JPG

IMG_5190.JPG

The manual from Atlas doesn't appear to show anything about these pins.

2017-06-07_222407.jpg

I don't want to resort to prying it. But, I would be grateful if someone can help guide me to remove it.

Thanks!

Ok I did a google search and saw someone on YouTube gently tap in a razor blade behind the rack to act as a wedge and got it out. All is well. On to painting soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I taped my rack and painted around it , didn't want to change its position at all

Back