Advice on Bridgeport converted to CNC for sale

Thanks gents.
Appreciate it.
Just to put the controller complexity into perspective, here is a complete CNC system on the bench for testing.
I assume you are referring to the upside down calculator that says Shell Oil? :)

The way I see it, if you buy this and disconnect the motors, you have a manual BP with some tooling in good condition for $3500. Not bad.
This is largely my perspective. I want to get back and see what the tooling truly consists of.
I know there is a turn table of size, and an original BP vice (not Kurt...)
I think the machine is from early 70's.
If he converted it early-mid 80's, then the original lead screws would have seen about 12 years of service.
He told me he has those original parts still.

Waiting to hear back from him to arrange a second visit.
If I can manage - I'll get an accounting of what it would come with.
If it falls through - I will jump back here with other opportunities.
Know it's not a steel - but if its solid and $3500 - that would be a fraction of what a dealer would charge - and the promise of CNC would be there.
Thanks,
-CM

Preface -
Anyone else experience this?
It's like high school.
Can't get a date to save your life, but as soon as you have a girlfriend, they all seem interested in you.
Probably should stop that analogy here - cause my date is potentiall - lets just say - kinda big around the hips.

Waiting to hear back from my Bridgeport guy.
Very quiet.
Then today got contacted by someone else.
"Would I like a free mill?"
"Old Webb CNC. CNC broke 10 years ago"

That is every piece of detail I have.
Tomorrow - I will drive 1.5 hours to have a look.
No pictures. No idea what model, year, or condition.
For all I know, it has been sitting outside for a decade.
On the other hand, it could be sitting in the corner of a pole barn.
Oh - and they said its a knee mill and it weighs about 4000 lbs.

Seriously - you can't make this stuff up.
Maybe no more than a rusty ship anchor.
Wont know til I see.

Question: What am I looking for?

Old Webb CNC.

Got one exactly like it, very nice machines. If it looks like most of the parts are there.... Drag it home. If it's not frozen with rust, so much the better. I would take a trailer with me.

Thanks Jim.
That was the vote of confidence I was looking for.

I managed to get in touch with the guy who owns it - by text.
Still know precious little.
Says it was inside until a month ago.
Will send me detailed pics in the morning.
Don't expect perfection... its free.

Said he had a fork lift and would be happy to load.
However - If he were to load it on a trailer tomorrow - I don't know how I would even get it off.
My plan is to build a steel and wood pallet for it over the weekend - like below - as that would allow me to unload with pallet jack - I think.
I can measure it up tomorrow so I know sizing and hole placement.
Leaving it over the weekend puts some risk in play - but I like to deal directly with people - and if he says it's mine - I will take his word.

Curious - what machine/era are you guessing I will find?
First look at pictures I have seen online for "Webb CNC" show no handles at all for manual movement?
Pic below of the type of skid I was considering. Thoughts on this as a permanent base?
Sunbelt rents a drop bed trailer that seems like it would work.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 9.29.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 9.29.42 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 9.33.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 9.33.45 PM.png
    738.6 KB · Views: 20
The pallet looks good, so does the trailer. But remember these are top heavy, and even coming down the small ramp on the drop deck trailer can be exciting. It is only about a 2 inch drop on the incline but you are going to want to ease is down with a come-a-long.

Well if you are lucky it will be this model with the 4VK frame. There are 3 different models, 3VK, 4VK, and 5VK. the 3VK is an exact BP clone, the 4VK is a heavier (by about 1000 lbs) machine and a bit larger than a standard BP. The 5VK is a bit larger still. The 4VK has square ways on the saddle, the 5VK has square ways on both the saddle and the knee. Late 80's

1621573493877.png

Good break down.
Know how to spot the model now.
Thanks.

I've passed on what looks like a nice Lagun FTV2 because its larger than I want...
Will be ironic if this is the 5VK...
Kinda suspect that's what I'm gonna find.
Only way to know is go look.

That said - free is good! - and if I can actually move it for a couple hundred bucks and some carefully coordinated winching - it'l be hard to pass up.
Look out for some pics tomorrow.
I'll post if I receive some in the AM - and when I get out to the machine around lunch.
Feedback of course desired and welcomed from all.

-CM

At the price you are getting this for, your gas to go get it. Renting a trailer and a fork lift once you get home would still be a cheap option with this unit.

If I might ask, how did the owner of the mill come to make this offer? Did you advertise for a mill? You indicate that it is a 1.5 hour drive, so I assume it is someone you may not know.

Thanks

Last edited:
Papa Charlie - will happily share the story.
Even if it crashes and burns - its still a pretty good one.
Lemme see if I can lock it down first - you know how these things can fissile...
Pic's to follow.
Collecting tools now to bring along for quick look and measure.
No go on truck rental - rental company announced they didn't have a truck for me about 30 min ago...
Working with what I'm being dealt - both good and bad.

Just got a pic.
is this the 5?
Will see it in a couple hours live.
melt me know what pics y’all would like to see if there are any particular ones.

Attachments

• F731AD1E-6B27-4D2F-AAE5-82569DB79274.jpeg
    F731AD1E-6B27-4D2F-AAE5-82569DB79274.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 17
Yup, I think that is a 5VK, CNC only, no hand wheels. Short table. Looks like a project. :)

May as well drag that sandblast cabinet home also :)

Back