Advice on Bridgeport converted to CNC for sale

You are going to completely gut that top box. Maybe reuse the push buttons. There is actually enough room in the main electrical cabinet to stuff the computer hardware in there also and just use a monitor/keyboard mount in place of that big ugly box. Maybe something like this

Last edited:
Ditron DRO + Magnetic scales
1)D100-3V 3axis display
2)DMR200 1um read head, 4 required
3)MS200-3M (3 meters tape)
Factory direct from Ditron. sales@dcoee.com
http://www.dcoee.com/

Vision for machine & components needed coming together - Like it!
Above list seams to have reading heads, tape , and DRO display.
Is there also some extruded track of some kind the tape is going to fit in?

Yes, those manual pulse generator hand wheels are a reasonably good solution, you just need to make sure you get the 6 terminal ones. Might be the best solution to the manual quill problem. The biggest problem is that they lack any tactile feedback when feeding
Ah. Ok. Tactile much nicer. Makes sense.
As I have no other cutting tools, perhaps I could start with a set of cheap digital ones - then mill my own adapters as a project - to allow connection of some hand wheels.
Note to self - beware of servo spun spinning hand wheels on fingers and mid section...
There is actually enough room in the main electrical cabinet to stuff the computer hardware in there also and just use a monitor/keyboard mount in place of that big ugly box. Maybe something like this
This I like. Would even consider optimizing placement & depth of the lower box once I figure out what will go in there. Honkin' big control box at eye level may be functional - but just pure ugly to my eye currently. Screen very nice.

Ok - quick recap to see if I have this right and for basic budgeting.
For manual operation - (WITHOUT power feed using) but no CNC:
1. Magnetic cales
2. Reader
3. DRO box
4. New VFD
5. Temporary digital dials or manual knobs if I can make them work
6. Single phase power supply(s?) for my servos

Above gets me in manual operation - I don't think it gives me power feed (for that I believe I will need a Controller?)

To get to power feed and CNC functionality I would add:
1. CNC controller (can you give me an example? - I see prices ALL over the board here)
2. Nice LCD screen
3. Key board? (or can I go touch screen and do it all on screen?)

There is also the matter of tooling... Note this thing doesn't even have a chuck or collet holder on it.
That can come later...
Lemme know if I missed/misunderstood something.

Vision for machine & components needed coming together - Like it!
Above list seams to have reading heads, tape , and DRO display.
Is there also some extruded track of some kind the tape is going to fit in?
No track needed. You will need to build some aluminum rails for the quill and knee. We'll get to that later.
Here is how mine is mounted on the X axis.
1621698471409.png

Ok - quick recap to see if I have this right and for basic budgeting.
For manual operation - (WITHOUT power feed using) but no CNC:
1. Magnetic scales Tape
2. Reader
3. DRO box
4. New VFD
5. Temporary digital dials or manual knobs if I can make them work
6. Single phase power supply(s?) for my servos

The digital hand wheel (Manual Pulse Generator) MPG would connect to the controller, there is no way to operate the existing servo motors/drives directly from the MPGs. The existing servo drives are analog input devices. The MPG would connect to an unused encoder input on the controller, and there would need to be some software on the controller to tell it what to do with the MPG input.

To get to power feed and CNC functionality I would add:
1. CNC controller (can you give me an example? - I see prices ALL over the board here)
2. Nice LCD screen
3. Key board? (or can I go touch screen and do it all on screen?)
I have been avoiding this subject until we had a better handle on what we had to work with. CNC control systems range from virtually free to '' you can't afford it''. There is a lot to concider before choosing a system, the axis drive motors partly dictate the controller. Most modern axis drives are stepper or servo motors and drives, but these don't lend themselves to smooth manual operation thus the desire to use the existing brushed DC motors and drives if possible.

By definition, a servo system is a closed loop system. The term servo does not define a motor type contrary to what the marketing types would have you believe. Your home heating/AC system is a servo system, the loop is closed by the thermostat and you, as the user, define the comfort level parameter by setting the thermostat. Another common example of a servo system is your car. You, as the controller, take various inputs from what is going on around you, process the data, and output the appropriate (we hope) actions to the steering, throttle, and brakes. On a machine tool, the loop is closed by the encoder feedback to either the servo drive or the controller.

On the low end there is the open loop stepper stepper system, this is the most popular for many hobby uses because it's inexpensive. In this case the controller sends out a pulse train and direction signal to the stepper drive but there is no feedback and the controller just assumes that the motor is doing what it is commanded to do. But the controller has no idea what is actually happening. Not the best for accurate work, but it does work pretty well. Could be operated directly with the MPG handwheels without any CNC capability, I actually tested this out of curiosity.

As the sophistication goes up so does the cost, but you have a good budget for this project so cost, within reason, is not really a factor. The only real requirement is that the system be compatible with the existing analog command input, and it is Closed Loop. You will need a motion controller. My personal favorite is Galil Motion Control products. These are industrial class motion controllers. These can be purchased directly from Galil, or there is a lot of used Galil hardware on eBay. I purchase from both depending on the application. https://www.galil.com/

So, given the existing analog commanded hardware there are a few relatively inexpensive options:
Mach3/4 https://www.machsupport.com/
Dynomotion Kflop/Kanalog https://www.dynomotion.com/
Centroid All-in-One DC https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid_diy/allin1dc_cnc_controller.html
CamSoft http://www.camsoftcorp.com/
My software (free)

Mach3/4 is a software motion controller/CNC. Can be used with Galil or Dynomotion products
Dynomotion and Centroid both make their own motion controller boards, and provide the software with their products.
CamSoft uses Galil motion controllers as does my software.

Support on all of the above is pretty good.

Here is a screen shot of my current version running on my mill
1621707120241.png

There is no reason to make a decision on CNC software/controllers just yet. But there is no practical way of using the machine manually without mechanically coupled handwheels. You are going to want to have a keyboard and mouse.

There is also the matter of tooling... Note this thing doesn't even have a chuck or collet holder on it.
That can come later...
Lemme know if I missed/misunderstood something.
Pretty sure that spindle is NMTB 40 (I think Cat 40 will also work in that spindle), you'll need to measure it. It could be a 30, but with 5 hp most likely 40. #40 tool holders are readily available on the used market, probably the most common holders and available in every configuration imaginable.

So something like this. https://www.shars.com/nmtb-40-er32-er-collet-chuck-tool-holder
1621700384052.png

Last edited:
Once or twice :grin:
Indeed

No track needed. You will need to build some aluminum rails for the quill and knee. We'll get to that later.
Here is how mine is mounted on the X axis.
Love how low profile this is.
The digital hand wheel (Manual Pulse Generator) MPG would connect to the controller, there is no way to operate the existing servo motors/drives directly from the MPGs.
Struck me after I typed it. Yup. Gonna have to solve how to attach some handles to my belt timing cogs.
but these don't lend themselves to smooth manual operation thus the desire to use the existing brushed DC motors and drives if possible.
I am all-in on this. Felt like stars aligned a little when you mentioned that the DC motors are compatible with hand turning. Not like I am running them 24/7. Think its the right choice on this one - and of course - its already on there...
You will need a motion controller. My personal favorite is Galil Motion Control products.
Quick look at Galil shows they have all sorts: single axis, multi axis, ethernet, ethercat, ether dog...
Not quite able to navigate yet what's what. May need just a bit more on hardware front needs.
Software combinations you listed make sense.

Two other factors that may or may not effect thinking.
- I have cat6 run to my garage.
- I prefer to use a Mac (the onion peals back its layers...)

Thanks for the run down Jim.
Components to operation starting to sink in.

*edit - meant to mention/ask:

The guys that are giving me the machine said I would have to find a "post processor".
Specifically - they said: "What you need to really consider before you start to buy a controller is, can you get a post processor for the cad/cam software and controller"

Can someone help me parse that?
I really didnt understand what they meant.

Indeed

Love how low profile this is.

Struck me after I typed it. Yup. Gonna have to solve how to attach some handles to my belt timing cogs.

I am all-in on this. Felt like stars aligned a little when you mentioned that the DC motors are compatible with hand turning. Not like I am running them 24/7. Think its the right choice on this one - and of course - its already on there...

Quick look at Galil shows they have all sorts: single axis, multi axis, ethernet, ethercat, ether dog...
Not quite able to navigate yet what's what. May need just a bit more on hardware front needs.
Software combinations you listed make sense.

Two other factors that may or may not effect thinking.
- I have cat6 run to my garage.
- I prefer to use a Mac (the onion peals back its layers...)

Thanks for the run down Jim.
Components to operation starting to sink in.
Cat 6 in the garage is handy, but not a factor in any of this.

I'm not aware of any system that will run on a Mac, you will learn to love (or hate) Win10 (or perhaps Linux, there is at least one option there)

*edit - meant to mention/ask:

The guys that are giving me the machine said I would have to find a "post processor".
Specifically - they said: "What you need to really consider before you start to buy a controller is, can you get a post processor for the cad/cam software and controller"

Can someone help me parse that?
I really didnt understand what they meant.

They were assuming that you would try to breathe life into that antique controller.

The post processor is the final step between the drawing and the generation of the G code to run the machine. It is a file that takes the tool paths generated by the CAM program and formats them into something the CNC software can understand.

Drawing>CAM>post process>G code.

The post processor is specific to the CNC software and CAM package. Every system I listed above has post processors readily available for most CAM software packages.

Last edited:
This is getting pretty exciting!

Im reluctant to offer up control/drive suggestions as I dont want to overload the self-described Newbie, but I cant help myself.

None of the below is intended to contradict Jim's basic plan, but here's some food for thought:

1. LinuxCNC can handle analog +/-10v drives using card from Mesa. Encoder feedback to the Mesa as well. So if you aren't emotionally capable of going with Windows, you have an option that allows you to keep existing motors and drives.

2. There are DC servo drives that take step & direction inputs. That opens up other controller options - most of the ones you've probably been looking at on the internet. Some may take AC input, meaning you wouldnt have to get a bit ac-dc power supply to power the drives.

Both let you keep the dc servos for handwheel compatibility. Im not going to bother you with part numbers or details, but just know there are options that dont require a 100% gut-job if a reasonably priced Galil seems difficult to source.

Following with interest.

This is getting pretty exciting!

Following with interest.
Spumco: Thanks!
Welcome the additional info.
It's helpful for me to gain a broader understanding - which is growing leaps and bounds thanks to this thread/Jim's master class.
1. LinuxCNC can handle analog +/-10v drives using card from Mesa. Encoder feedback to the Mesa as well. So if you aren't emotionally capable of going with Windows, you have an option that allows you to keep existing motors and drives.
Appreciated.
Though I didnt mention - I run my Mac with both its operating system and a virtual machine - running... windows 10.
I do some 2D CAD and it handles it quite well.
First move would likely be to try running some of the suggested software to see if it's happy or not.
I use "parallels" and its been pretty stable with other CAD - so my gut feeling is - maybe!
2. There are DC servo drives that take step & direction inputs. That opens up other controller options - most of the ones you've probably been looking at on the internet. Some may take AC input, meaning you wouldnt have to get a bit ac-dc power supply to power the drives.

Both let you keep the dc servos for handwheel compatibility. Im not going to bother you with part numbers or details,
Bother me!
Kidding aside - everyone has their own likes/preferences.
Jim's been holding a master class - but there have been times where he's had to just be prescriptive - because I either don't have the depth to understand the gives and takes of options - or even if I did - don't have the experience to know what I want yet.
Some other options would be interesting - expand the convo - and sharpen my understanding.
Gives me a chance to ask questions that might enlighten.

Side note:
One thing about entering a new realm.
When you first go in - you don't know who's who.
I mean - you may have a sense of who has depth of knowledge - but you don't know how your profile of needs/likes might match theirs.
That's tough - because it can be expensive to learn - and there are always options to do things well - but differently.
By the time you understand, you've bought your third controller, have a shelf of unused parts, and are swapping to a touch screen...
Just guessing other's have experienced this.

My point is - I welcome the discussion.
You guys are providing incredible learning and value to me.
And I am gonna need that to tackle this hunk of iron.
Fire away!

Back