Advice on buying a Transmisson Jack

gr8legs

Active User
Rest In Peace
I will shortly be embarking on replacing two fuel tanks and a sewer tank on a recently acquired motorhome.

I will have access to a vehicle lift to get the RV up in the air to work on it and I think a (New Tool !!!) transmission lift would be just dandy for these tasks.

I want something that goes low enough for easy lifting height to put 'stuff 'onto and goes high enough to get to about 6 feet, with a load weight range 500 pounds or better.

Perusing the Interwebs there seem to be a plethora of uncommonly similar lifts in the roughly $200 range, the major variant being color: Red or Blue.

This is a Blue one :) GenericTransmissionLift.jpg

Does anyone have one of these things the recommend and a reliable vendor??

Thanks in advance,

Stu

I had to drop the tank on my old rv to change the intank fuel pump... I had access to a pit so I backed the RV on it and used two chains, one on the front of the tank about were the hanging strap was and one on the back about were the hanging strap was then using a regular jack and various length 4x4s I jacked one end removed strap lowered onto chain went to other end... repeat jacking up each end a little extending chain so tank would come down a few inches at a time on each end. it didn't take very long and tank was low enough to remove fuel and electric lines, man handle it to the ground and replace pump.... Reversed procedure to re-install.

Those cheap trans jacks like pictured would probably work fine for what you want to do.
A good trans jack has a 2 way tilting platform that is very handy as the bottom of a trans isn't always flat, and the engine shaft angles are also
no flat to your floor.
Cheap jacks like pictured tilt the platform one direction. They put a screw and knob assembly in the other direction and all it does is move
the platform forward or back (or side to side depending on how you placed it) . So not helpful as the jack is on wheels and can be rolled those directions easily.
I think they add that to make it appear like a good jack, fooling many buyers.

My first trans jack was from Norther Tool. It was $350.00 when I got it(probably 5 years ago)
It had the single way tilt (yes suckered for that. saw the two knobs thought it was double tilting)

Sold that one and bought a Harbor freight version with 2 way tilt.

I did use the first one for about 5 years before upgrading. Both jacks worked very good.

The current Harbor freight cheapo: https://www.harborfreight.com/1100-lb-high-lift-transmission-jack-33615.html
Is a single stage jack. Not sure if the one you pictured is or not, but you probably don't want one of those as they don't go very low.
It's low height is 44 3/4 compared to the one I have at 34 13/16. It also doesn't go as high topping out at 70 3/4. Mine lifts to 73 7/16.

Having recently wrestled a transmission into a Range Rover with a transmission jack, I might make a suggestion or two.

If you use one of the Horror Freight or similar jacks with its tilting mechanism, be aware that the thrust bearings on the tilt mechanisms will fail out if used under any load at all. Hearing the snap of an overhardened brittle thrust bearing race while under a car with a transmission definitely gets the blood pumping.

Second, do yourself a favor and make up a platform for the top rather than trying to use the chain and hook setup that they provide. It can be as simple as a bit of plywood bolted to the top of the jack with straps to hold to the item being installed. Center the platform under the item's centre of gravity and the lift will be easy and the installation relatively stress-free.

As far as the jack itself, go 2-stage for the height - and let's face it you'll find plenty of uses for the silly thing once you get it - so don't buy the bottom end lift.

Back