Advice on CNC'ing my new Sieg SX3 mill

I ordered online from https://www.machinetoolswarehouse.com/xcart/home.php?cat=253
and had it shipped to Winnipeg.

Where does Montreal fit in? I bought mine from MachineToolsWarehouse as well, and had it shipped to Montreal. Just took it apart today. Horrendous black paint job, lots of paint either arrived off, or came off as I removed the red wax/grease. There was paint on the ways, and in other places chips, scratches, etc. I'm hoping it works better than it looks. CNCFusion deluxe kit ordered yesterday.

Just a quick note regarding Gecko G540, Mesa 5i25 boards - it works very well. I have a KX1 CNC mill, came without computer/controller; originally software stepping (which was fine) but went with a 5i25, and once I wrapped my head around the changes, the mill now runs very well.

I think I've limited max velocity to 100mm/sec; 4 inches per second or so. That's plenty fast enough for this small, unguarded mill.

I think LinuxCNC is great software; it all just seems to work 100% reliably.

John A. Stewart.

Just a quick note regarding Gecko G540, Mesa 5i25 boards - it works very well. I have a KX1 CNC mill, came without computer/controller; originally software stepping (which was fine) but went with a 5i25, and once I wrapped my head around the changes, the mill now runs very well.

I think I've limited max velocity to 100mm/sec; 4 inches per second or so. That's plenty fast enough for this small, unguarded mill.

I think LinuxCNC is great software; it all just seems to work 100% reliably.

John A. Stewart.

Thanks John! Very helpful. Did you need a breakout board as well?

No breakout board necessary for Gecko G540 to Mesa 5i25 - just one parallel cable.

I *do* have an MPG with breakout board from CNC4PC, but that is not related to the G540/5i25 combo.

Hope this helps -

John A. Stewart

No breakout board necessary for Gecko G540 to Mesa 5i25 - just one parallel cable.

I *do* have an MPG with breakout board from CNC4PC, but that is not related to the G540/5i25 combo.

Hope this helps -

John A. Stewart

Yes, it helps a lot, thank you.

Back