Advice on cutting roller bearings

Cadillac

Registered
Registered
So I recently bought a surface grinder with a ballway table. The table has 20 cylindrical rollers that measure .7498 in diameter and .717 in length from the best I could measure. They all look in good shape just a good cleaning but they do not look like a mirrored surface. Tried looking everywhere I can think of for cylindrical rollers but came up short less calling and having a custom set made. Idk if buying linear bearing shaft and cutting would be precise enough? Well I work with a lot of hydraulics and had a bunch of motors laying around the shop with a bad shaft or a leaker. I ripped one apart and what ya know they have 7 rollers that are part of the rotor Assy. That measure exactly .750 with a length of 2". Different size motors have different lengths for different displacement motors but all are exactly .750 nice polished surface and the perfect material I think for rollers. Here's a pic of them the one in center is a original I'm gonna duplicate.
So my thought was to put the roller in a 5c collet block put the collet block in a vise and use my surface grinder to cut to length. Cut them alittle heavy then surface grind the batch? Then put in the spin fixture a grind the bevel on the ends to duplicate the originals.
My second way and what I'm leaning towards in putting them in my spin fixture that is driven and spin the roller while cutting? I'd be using coolant both ways. I saw acouple videos of people using a cutoff on the SG and they did it in one swipe. I think plunging while spinning the part will be the safest??? Will cutting these rollers down effect the diameters of the rollers??
I really don't need to make these but I figured since I have it apart it would be nice to have some new rollers in there. Then my OCD starts kicking in and thinking why did they only use 10 per guide rail why not 20 you have enough material for it?? I did see a video where robin renzetti rebuilt his grinder and added more balls to his table along with a self lubricating/cleaning retainers which was amazing.
My main question is spin cut verses just a collet block and one swipe cutting? And do you think the diameter will be changed at all with the grinding that will be done to them? For some reason I can’t post pictures says file to large never had this problem before. I’ll get some when fixed

Come on Man, you KNOW the Drill! Pictures, pictures, pictures or it didn't happen! :cheer: :laughing:

Idk this is the message I’m getting and it’s only the 2pics I want.
18FDE0F8-48FF-4DD0-A3FD-CC22C576F286.png

Looks like your gonna need to resize the pictures to a lower quality because the current file size is too large to upload.

As long as you are using coolant, you shouldn't have a problem with distortion of the rollers. I would think that spinning while cutting would be best. The cutoff blade only has to go half as deep and the cut part will have symmetry around its axis.

How about just using dowel pins?

Is there room for the extra .032 length or will you still need to trim them?

An 18mm dowel pin is .008" larger than your .717 measurement. 19mm is .0018" larger than .7498", so your rollers COULD be metric. Maybe you can find a metric dowel pin that's 19mm in diameter and 18mm long to see how it fits.

An 18mm dowel pin is .008" larger than your .717 measurement. 19mm is .0018" larger than .7498", so your rollers COULD be metric. Maybe you can find a metric dowel pin that's 19mm in diameter and 18mm long to see how it fits.
You bring up a good point on being metric. I don't know if dowel pins are precise enough and surface finish for a bearing surface? My question is was jet tools ever made in America? The machine is a Bridgeport blue(original) and has a badge on the wheel cover that's says jet with a compass looking logo and says Tacoma Washington? Where their imported too?
I had some time and tried the different ways of cutting. Collet block in a vise taking one swipe I ended up chipping the blade and having to recut a different way. Using unreinforced blades. I tried the same setup down feeding the wheel .025 and traversing which took awhile but did work. Finally I setup the master grind spun the roller while down feeding the wheel. It worked great I was still alittle slow on the down feeding just kept constant force. The cutoff piece and roller were cool to the touch immediately after the cut and the finish looked good. I will be grinding the cut ends to final length once all are cut. Still having a problem downloading pics and haven't change anything it has to be a bug in the site??

Unfortunately something changed recently with Xenforo & we can not edit the change. A file size limit has been hard coded for photo uploads. If you take high res photos like I do, you'll now need to resize the photo in order to upload it here. This doesn't make sense as photos will get resized automatically here anyway regardless if you already resized it.

Back