Advice on Emco Maximat V10 -P

Okay so good news and bad news.

Good news is got to look at it and he's holding for me while I think about it. It seems to rotate nice and smooth. It comes with a rotating table and an extra X Y vice to use with the milling machine.

Bad news is the motor for the milling machine doesn't work. It hums but doesn't spin and a few cooling fins are snapped off. I'm operating under the assumption the motor will need to be replaced. Also, the fibre gear on the left has sustained a bit of damage on the right side of it. I'll try to add a picture I took. I would love to hear if it's enough to expect a failure in the future or just clean it up? It also doesn't come with the centre for the tail side. I believe it's called the live centre?

Other than that I think it looks decent. The seller knows as much (or as little) as I do about machining haha. Which is none. He hasn't used it himself. There isn't any tooling with it but he said he'd take what would equal about $1450 USD.

Additional advice would be very appreciated!

That lathe will clean up nice, I think.

The fiber gear looks like the owner shifted the gears while the lathe was still running. The damage looks minimal and I suspect that if you are careful to let the lathe stop before shifting, it should hold up fine.

The mill motor can be replaced; watch ebay and one will turn up.

You should understand that accessorizing a lathe may cost as much or more than the machine itself costs. This is true for any lathe you buy. What is lacking is the steady and follow rests; these are important. Also important is the complete change gear set; no lathe is complete without it and eventually, you should try to obtain it. A live center is not overly expensive. You will eventually need a drill chuck for the tailstock and a quick change tool post. Otherwise, the lathe looks good.

$1400.00 for an Emco lathe is a decent price, especially one with a milling attachment on it. Do you own a dial test indicator? If so, remove the chuck and indicate the taper in the spindle. It should run with very little, if any, run out. Emco lathes are very precise machines and even the V10-P had a hardened and ground spindle that should be very accurate. If it run out significantly, then either the bearing preload needs to be adjusted (easily done) or the bearings need to be changed.

Also check to see if there is excessive wear in the ways. Visually look for damage; if none is found then tighten the saddle locking bolt on the right side of the saddle. It will be on top and if you look underneath there will be a plate. Move the saddle to the headstock end and snug that bolt until the carriage moves with just a little effort at the saddle handwheel. Then move the saddle toward the tailstock. If it moves with about the same effort then the bed is likely in good shape, but if it gets really tight as you move down the the ways are significantly worn. You can measure this but this simple check is enough.

If you find anything off, and assuming you want the machine, then use it to leverage the price down.

Thank you so much Mike. I really appreciate the time you have put in to helping me. I forgot to mention it does have a steady rest and I believe a back plate too. As of now I am leaning towards purchasing this lathe. I'm still learning what is interchangeable and what is more specific to lathes but as a complete beginner I think I can have fun with very basic gear and slowly add on to it. I will basically park it until I learn how to use it without damaging it and all that fun stuff. If I am not mistaken the tailstock is MT2 so any MT2 centers/chucks etc should fit?

I do have a dial indicator, but it is cheap and I don't have a base for it (its threaded for timing an injection pump) so I can't really check the run out but I will see if I can borrow one from a friend. Thanks again!

You previously mentioned adding a variable speed drive and a 3 phase motor. I'm only basically aware of how a VFD works, but does it somehow transform to 3phase? Because I only have access to single phase 110/220. If the motor for the mill needs full replacing, should I try for an original or aftermarket? VFD? Thanks again! I hope I am not wearing out your patience!

We have some of the most knowledgeable guys re VFD's on this forum; @mksj and @JimDawson to name a few. Post a thread on the forum and they or one of the other electrical wizards will hopefully pitch in. The VFD will allow you to run a 3phase motor on 220v house current and gives you variable speed; it is the way to go if you change motors. As for the mill motor, if you can afford and fit a 3ph/VFD on it, that would be useful - variable speed, yeah!

Yup, any MT2 accessory will fit in the tailstock - drill chuck, live center, etc. Post for suggestions before buying and the guys will steer you straight.

It's good you have the steady rest. The follow rest is handy but the steady is what you will use the most. Grab anything he has for the lathe, even if you don't know what it is or how to use it. Emco parts are dear and anything you can grab will be useful.

I don't know what your plans are but if it was me, I would tear the bulk of the lathe down and clean/lube/repair it. You can leave the headstock alone but drain the oil and inspect everything carefully. I would take the saddle, cross slide and compound apart to clean and lube everything. While you're at all this, you can decide whether or not to repaint it or just put it back together and use it as is.

I can tell you one thing; Emco lathes are put together like a Swiss watch. Everything fits, everything is finished. You do not need to force anything; it will come apart easily and go back together easily. Nothing on an Emco lathe is like an Asian kit lathe and the parts breakdown manual is accurate - you can tear a lathe down and put it back together with just the parts manual. I did just that with most of my Super 11 CD and also with a Compact 8, just using the IPB manual. Any important adjustments are in the User's Manual. Simple, accurate, superb machines and very capable for their size. I'm sure @den-den will be an important asset to you as he owns one.

Oh, before I forget. The compound slides on an Emco lathe are very precise but the cross slide and longitudinal feeds are not as precise. In the future and if you keep this lathe, consider a DRO.

I would rather own your used V10-P than most Asian lathes ... but then, I'm sort of biased!

Welcome to HM and welcome to the slippery slope that is Hobby Machining!

EDIT: you need a dial test indicator to check the spindle run out inside the taper, not a dial indicator. Ask your friend for his DTI.

Last edited:
mikey has been taking great care of you.

I'll just pitch in my $0.02 worth.

The EMCO machines are well made for their purpose (light work). That isn't true of many hobby lathes (new or used).
New, they were relatively expensive so tended to be bought by more discerning users (fewer abusers).
Verify the main motor turns the spindle in all the available RPM ranges and the bearings/gears don't sound alarming.
Verify that the longitudinal and cross feeds work in both direction.
Buy it (yesterday).

Even if it needs some refurbishment/repair, you'll be working on a lathe that is worth owning and you'll be loath to ever sell it.

Although the milling attachment doesn't make it much of a milling machine, it will serve for LIGHT duty and one day will come in very handy (regardless of owning a more competent mill).

EDIT: I can't tell for sure but it may be sitting on the factory base, which has storage in the pedestals. Any accessories/tooling in there? Set the price before you look. The location is a mess so be sure to look around for components that may be is a box under (anything).

Last edited:
I can't tell for sure but it may be sitting on the factory base, which has storage in the pedestals. Any accessories/tooling in there? Set the price before you look. The location is a mess so be sure to look around for components that may be is a box under (anything).

Extropic, do you own a V10P? If so, that would be really helpful to Firewood.

Good thought about the possibility of stuff in the stand. I also just noticed that it has the Emco quick change tool post and a carriage stop on it. I cannot see if a thread dial indicator is there or not but it would be really nice if it was. Fingers crossed there is a full set of change gears sitting in a cardboard box in the stand; if you see it, find the little carrier stud and nut that goes with it.

Don't forget to find the lathe chuck key - they are well made.

The V10P has longitudinal and cross slide power feed, Firewood. It's that hex-shaped rod below the lead screw. Most 10" lathes today do not have a separate drive shaft for feeds - very nice.

Looks like the handle for the cross slide snapped off or came off. You'll have to find/make a replacement.

Bad news is the motor for the milling machine doesn't work. It hums but doesn't spin and a few cooling fins are snapped off.
That doesn't sound bad at all. Maybe just a run capacitor needs swapping (it's been years since I had a Maximat,
and the motor never gave me any trouble). It wouldn't hum if it had bad windings.
The 'milling machine' is a fairly nice drill press, but not as sturdy
as a real mill. Those lathes are near ideal for light work, you'll see.

What they all said. I had an Emco Super 11 for a while (paid $2500 US for it, lightly tooled and no milling attachment), and it was a pleasure to do work on. I believe the V10 was the predecessor of the Super 11, and is of similar quality and precision of the larger model. Original paint is a good sign, and the paint doesn't look like the machine was abused or even heavily used. Never liked the multi-machines, but you can sell off the milling attachment if you don't like it and get a dedicated mini-mill or mill-drill. Blue Ridge machinery used to carry an inventory of parts, don't know if they still do, or even if they are still in business. If you are looking for a quality machine for home shop use, this is a good candidate.

Thanks, everyone for the info! Especially Mike who has given me detailed information and guidance. I dug between the couch cushions and scraped up all the money I could find and pulled the trigger on buying it. I wasn't able to transport it home but I will be bringing it home in the near future and start cleaning and caring for it. I'm going to start reading and learning. I'll look into joining that yahoo group. I am very impressed with the attitudes of members on this forum. I have been on other forums and know how things can be frustrating, but it is refreshing to be on here with people that are very knowledgeable and helpful. I can't wait to get started and I'll be a regular on here!

Thanks again

I don't know what your plans are but if it was me, I would tear the bulk of the lathe down and clean/lube/repair it. You can leave the headstock alone but drain the oil and inspect everything carefully. I would take the saddle, cross slide and compound apart to clean and lube everything. While you're at all this, you can decide whether or not to repaint it or just put it back together and use it as is.

I definitely plan on tearing everything down and cleaning it. I'm pretty OCD about things being clean and tidy. I can't bear to see something fall into disrepair, I would sooner sell a tool to someone that will care for it properly if I don't have the time or will!

Oh, before I forget. The compound slides on an Emco lathe are very precise but the cross slide and longitudinal feeds are not as precise. In the future and if you keep this lathe, consider a DRO.

I will definitely look into this. More as an informative thing and something to consider down the road, but finances are limited and with baby #2 due in less than a month, it will be hard enough to break this to my wife (which I have yet to do)

I would rather own your used V10-P than most Asian lathes ... but then, I'm sort of biased!

I wholeheartedly agree. I am not fond of poorly made junk. I found out quickly that I can't afford to buy cheap tools because I end up getting frustrated with it (or it breaks) and I end up buying the good one after.

mikey has been taking great care of you.

Agreed!

Even if it needs some refurbishment/repair, you'll be working on a lathe that is worth owning and you'll be loath to ever sell it.

Although the milling attachment doesn't make it much of a milling machine, it will serve for LIGHT duty and one day will come in very handy (regardless of owning a more competent mill).

I fully agree. I hope it doesn't need much work, but It seems in mostly good condition. At least it was kept in a warm dry shop and not outside under a tarp!

EDIT: I can't tell for sure but it may be sitting on the factory base, which has storage in the pedestals. Any accessories/tooling in there? Set the price before you look. The location is a mess so be sure to look around for components that may be is a box under (anything).

Yes I believe it is the factory base. I assume there isn't anything in there, but it would certainly be a nice surprise if there was!

Don't forget to find the lathe chuck key - they are well made.

He told me that unfortunately the key has never been with it

Looks like the handle for the cross slide snapped off or came off. You'll have to find/make a replacement.

I noticed that and I can't remember if it snapped off or was removed, but I will definitely at the very least make something or get it made up, but I really like the idea of eventually getting all original parts if possible.

That doesn't sound bad at all. Maybe just a run capacitor needs swapping (it's been years since I had a Maximat,
and the motor never gave me any trouble). It wouldn't hum if it had bad windings.
The 'milling machine' is a fairly nice drill press, but not as sturdy
as a real mill. Those lathes are near ideal for light work, you'll see.

Thanks for the info, that's good to know. I am not educated on electronics but I'm trying to learn and it is nice to have a place to start troubleshooting!

What they all said. I had an Emco Super 11 for a while (paid $2500 US for it, lightly tooled and no milling attachment), and it was a pleasure to do work on. I believe the V10 was the predecessor of the Super 11, and is of similar quality and precision of the larger model. Original paint is a good sign, and the paint doesn't look like the machine was abused or even heavily used. Never liked the multi-machines, but you can sell off the milling attachment if you don't like it and get a dedicated mini-mill or mill-drill. Blue Ridge machinery used to carry an inventory of parts, don't know if they still do, or even if they are still in business. If you are looking for a quality machine for home shop use, this is a good candidate.

I would love to have a larger more rigid stand alone mill but I see that being in the distant future unfortunately! I have read that this definitely doesn't hold a candle to a dedicated mill but that it should be functional for me to learn on as long as I take light cuts.

Congrats on your new lathe! You do know that pics are obligatory, right? You might consider starting a thread on your refurbishing adventures. Emco lathes are not common on this forum and it would be helpful to others to have a record of your efforts. No pressure, just suggesting.

Forgot to mention that the cross slide handle is just a nice handle with rounded edges and a shoulder bolt that screws into the wheel. This is a simple fix so don't fret about it.

Back