Advice on making a BIG CLOCK for a clock tower.

Hi mal

Beware of scaling up clocks.
If the clock you are thinking of has a pendulum any alteration in its length will affect the time keeping, this is critical.

Brian.

I am building a large clock out of brass and S/S free maching. I would be very happy to

help in any way and I would love to see the details. Patrick

- - - Updated - - -

Correction "machining"
Patrick

Hi Patrick. Thanks for your interest. Sorry I haven't been around for some time, so I just got your reply today. I have leased a 3d cad program and I am currently trying to scale up the individual parts in the Laws clock design, I purchased. I have also had to re-design the model to fit inside a square opening in an existing clock tower. I will try uploading some pics and maybe pdfs soon.
Regards,
Mal Welsh

Hi everyone.:wavinghi: Thanks for having me on y
Hi everyone.:wavinghi: Thanks for having me on your site. I am hoping to be a first time clock builder.
I want to build a clock for a clock-tower. The face diameter will be 1200mm.
I have downloaded a copy of Brian Law's clock no.1 which I hope to use as a basis for my design.
I also have a 3d model from Grabcad based on the same clock.
As the original clock is for a 300mm face, I want to enlarge the whole mechanism about 4 times if possible.
Are there any design problems I will need to consider? I would appreciate your thoughts.
Many thanks.

Ps. I went to a book fair on the weekend and picked up a very interesting book, "Clocks & Clock repairing," by Eric Smith.
If I am successful with this project, I will be glad to share drawings, models,photos, etc.

our site. I am hoping to be a first time clock builder.
I have downloaded a copy of Brian Law's clock no.1 which I hope to use as a basis for my design.
As the original clock is for a 300mm face, I want to enlarge the whole mechanism about 4 times if possible.
Are there any design problems I will need to consider? I would appreciate your thoughts.
Many thanks.

Ps. I went to a book fair on the weekend and picked up a very interesting book, "Clocks & Clock repairing," by Eric Smith.
If I am successful with this project, I will be glad to share drawings, models,photos, etc.

Hi everyone.:wavinghi: Thanks for having me on your site. I am hoping to be a first time clock builder.
Many thanks.

Hello,
I think there is a man in Maine who makes Tower Clocks. He would be a good source for info , something that big I would go over the safety of operation.

It is full size?

Then the gearing is quite massive.all taken into account the great forces at play.
After all that ,It would be interesting on how to make such large gears.
I think it could be done.

I don't know if scaling up a model.includes all nessessary design features.. usually formulas hold the key to success .I guess the computer would aid in a mock up an a 3D working model.an support templates.....
My two cents....

I have visited several clock towers' internal clocks.

St Mark's in Venice, which was built in the late 1400s, and completely refurbished in the 1700s has very small clockworks. It isn't like you'd expect in a case clock - the works were spread out over 2m by 2m square. The weight was about 20 Kg, and the main shaft 1 " in diameter and was supported by 4 bearings. It supports one dial with 6 sets of hands. The largest timekeeping wheel was around 2" in diameter. The main wheel for the weight was about 1.3 m in diameter feeding a 250mm cog. It was made in 8 segments and bolted to a hand forged frame. Separate weights powered the magi procession, which had a very complicated works indeed.

There are a lot of very good references on clockworks for clock towers. However, I suggest you build a case clock first, even though the technology is very different. The need for precision, and how to set wheels properly is exactly the same. It just happens to be a lot harder on tower clocks.

Back