Advice on Monarch 10EE and Bridgeport Series 1 acquisition

Macca

Registered
Registered
Hello all,

I recently have been offered a Monarch Lathe and a Bridgeport Mill if I am interested in them. I want to preface that i am quite new to the machining world and am trying to learn more.

So my questions are: Where do i start? Ive done some research on forums over these respective machines, and have a general idea. But where do i start to "diagnose" these machines to see what condition they are in? Are they worth bringing home if they need fixing? The issue i believe i have is that these run off 3-phase (the Lathe is a M-G drive) and i do not have 3-phase currently. Will i be able to get a rough idea about the machines before i invest in getting 3-phase? (I think i am planning on buying a rotary phase converter).

Any advice is appreciated, i would love to get these machines home, but am wary on the condition and what they would take to get running with my lack of experience working on lathes or mills.

-David

The Monarch is the Cadillac of lathes. With the MG set, it is likely the older round dial. The square dials, newer, also had MG set for a few years. like all old machines, condition is everything. in this case, make sure its complete, parts have gold plated pricing. The drive can be difficult to repair and parts are hard to find. many, including myself, have upgraded to a VFD and 3 phase motor. This can run off of single phase.

Series 1 bridgeport is likely a 60s or newer machine. Highly sought after, and a very nice unit. parts are easy to find. Again, condition is everything on old machines. Here, use a rotary phase converter or upgrade it to VFD control.

As to condition, if they are not under power, its a pig'n'poke. Look for broken or missing parts. turn all the handles and see if they move smooth and easy. i also consider the seller - if its a jockey - buyer beware. if its grandpa that has owned them for years - buy it now.

Last edited:
You were offered or offered to purchase ? These are both very sought after machines , especially the Monarch . :encourage:

Are they worth bringing home if they need fixing?
Well, if you are trying to run a business the answer to that is probably no. But I presume you have a hobby level interest.
To buy new machines from China/Taiwan of equivalent capacity you are probably looking at the ballpark of $20k. Equivalent capacity doesn't mean comparable quality, just dimensions. If there is any tooling (vice, chucks, end mills, etc) that adds significantly to the cost/value. Fixing up older machines can be a very rewarding, I and others here enjoy it.

Last edited:
They do come with most of their tooling, so that is a plus. The monarch is a 1948 year (if that helps diagnose the square/round dial). I called Monarch and gave them the serial number, and they were the ones who told me it was a MG drive. They also said that it had a desirable electronic reverser or threading option or something I cannot remember what they said it was unfortunately.

And I did forgot to mention. 99% hobby interest, not trying to run a business.

The Monarch is the Cadillac of lathes. With the MG set, it is likely the older round dial. The square dials, newer, also had MG set for a few years. like all old machines, condition is everything. in this case, make sure its complete, parts have gold plated pricing. The drive can be difficult to repair and parts are hard to find. many, including myself, have upgraded to a VFD and 3 phase motor. This can run off of single phase.

Series 1 bridgeport is likely a 60s or newer machine. Highly sought after, and a very nice unit. parts are easy to find. Again, condition is everything on old machines. Here, use a rotary phase converter or upgrade it to VFD control.

As to condition, if they are not under power, its a pig'n'poke. Look for broken or missing parts. turn all the handles and see if they move smooth and easy. i also consider the seller - if its a jockey - buyer beware. if its grandpa that has owned them for years - buy it now.
Could you explain the VFD, 3 phase motor, and then you said it can run off single phase?

I thought that the MG drive had a 3 phase motor already, and therefore it cannot be ran single phase unless you changed the entire drive, I could be misunderstanding how the drive works though.

Wow….

Yes you want these machines, both worth rebuilding regardless but I suspect you won’t want/need to do that. At least for a
while.

Be very careful about moving them. If you’re not equipped or experienced paying a professional machine rigging company will be money well spent.

Welcome to the club, there is lots of experienced and friendly advice here. You can ask any question and almost always get a good answer within a few hours. Folks on here are dedicated to helping others learn so you have definitely found a new “home” on the internet.

And there are two things you need to know right off the bat.

Pictures or it didn’t happen.

And a very friendly
:you suck:

Back