Advice on Monarch 10EE and Bridgeport Series 1 acquisition

Kinda lost me there when you started modifying the RPC...
Sorry. No mods.

The control for the RPC is a square electrical box with ON/OFF buttons. The power to it needs a on/off switch, don't use the mains panel circuit breaker as a switch.

Between the circuit breaker box and the RPC put in a proper switch for 220 that switches off each leg called a double throw, double throw. The small cost is nothing compared to safety or burning down your shop and finding insurance won't cover because you violated code.

From the RPC install a locking plug receptacle , meaning pushing and twist to lock, rated for 3ph and the load. 30A will be overkill and work just fine. Then from each machine l ran an extension cord with the male plug. You could hard wire the machines and use a ~2' pig tail from a box to plug into the 3ph plug. But I suggest KISS while you work through trouble shooting and maybe final decisions on where things end up.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Sorry. No mods.

The control for the RPC is a square electrical box with ON/OFF buttons. The power to it needs a on/off switch, don't use the mains panel circuit breaker as a switch.

Between the circuit breaker box and the RPC put in a proper switch for 220 that switches off each leg called a double throw, double throw. The small cost is nothing compared to safety or burning down your shop and finding insurance won't cover because you violated code.

From the RPC install a locking plug receptacle , meaning pushing and twist to lock, rated for 3ph and the load. 30A will be overkill and work just fine. Then from each machine l ran an extension cord with the male plug. You could hard wire the machines and use a ~2' pig tail from a box to plug into the 3ph plug. But I suggest KISS while you work through trouble shooting and maybe final decisions on where things end up.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
Leviton 1222-2GY 20 Amp, 120/277 Volt, Toggle Double-Pole AC Quiet Switch, Extra Heavy Duty Grade, Self Grounding, Back and Side Wired, Gray https://a.co/d/8AeMeN9

NEMA L14-20P 20 Amp 125/250 Volt Twist Lock Female Wall Outlet Receptacle US 3 Pole 4 Wire Industrial Grade Grounding Flush Mounting (Not Include Screws) US Four-hole Power Female Plug https://a.co/d/191f2c8

You cab also get an extension cord and make a pigtail,

Parkworld Generator 4-Prong 20 AMP NEMA L14-20 Extension Cord (25FT) https://a.co/d/3CTmXRm

though personally I find the wires in these a PIA and would rather use bulk cord 124025 12/4 Wire Cord SOOW, Rubber Coated 12 Gauge, 4 Conductor 25' and a plug:

Journeyman-Pro 2411 20 Amp, 125/250 Volt, NEMA L14-20P, 3P, 4W, Locking Male Plug Connector, Black Industrial Grade, Grounding 5000 Watts Generator Rating (L14-20P Male Plug)

hope this helps a little. When you do wire it up there is one wire in the start relay that has to be switched to work with anything other than "real" 3ph. Well covered in the PM Monarch forum with pictures. Don't hesitate to ask anything!!!

Oh, here is the RPC I purchased: UL-10 Pro-Line 10HP UL Listed Rotary Phase Converter There is one other US brand American Rotary, I'm told they are two separate businesses on the same street. My purchase was 100% price driven, right now the American Rotary is the same price I paid.

Ron

Here's an idea of what we are talking about with a beam "pallet" not too different from what's shown in the Monarch literature. Lots of "anti-tip" width, the length more why not? I had 3 more 10,000 lb. straps to use and was satisfied with the one and the chain. When off loading, I used the chain as a check safety, ~ 6" max of slack at a time, and pulled the lathe off with two ratchet straps. You can see the angle got steep for the length of my 2X, some 1/2" pipe and some scrap wood for dunage took care of that. If I had had the Rino wheels I mentioned earlier on the parallel beams, wouldn't have need the pipe. But it was no big deal, have moved a lot of stuff on those pieces of pipe. The wedges were my secondary safety, the key is to not let any momentum build up and if at all possible a partner to drop the pallet jack "NOW" if needed. Never had the lathe any higher that maybe 3" off the deck and that at the very end. But no way was she going to tip. I think it took me as long to walk the trailer over literally 2" at a time to get the trailer so it would drop on the garage slab then to get the lathe off.

The Monarch has three holes for leveling feet, and as other mentioned I used all thread. By having the two parallel beams on the bottom, it was no problem to set the lathe down and drill the holes in place. I left the middle beam free so I could adjust it as needed for my pallet jack, exactly as the factory middle beam was not secured, just held by the weight of the lathe. The frame was already together with pockets drilled out for the nuts and washers to sit in and the lathe simply dropped on top.

In fact I just moved the lathe from VA to WA on the same "pallet" in a 8' PODS rated for 5k lb. Rolled right off the pallet jack and into the PODS with two of us. Could have done it alone if I'd had to. Then after the late "make a decision now" home purchase we found PODS wouldn't deliver to the house. Had the PODS delivered to a self storage where we slid it onto another kneeling drop deck trailer and then right into the garage where she sits till I get a shop building up. Slow and steady.

"If" the roll on wrecker deck can match the height of the dock, I'll walk back my comment about them as you can make the pallet and have that loaded. Even without a forklift, it doesn't take long at all the leaver up the lathe 3/4" in at a time from either end until it's high enough to get the cross beams under it and the lathe bolted down. Then with a pallet jack, pipe, or that forklift over to the wrecker you go.

Home_on_trailer_10EE_1954_38043_.jpgOffloading_10EE_1954_38043.jpg

Here's an idea of what we are talking about with a beam "pallet" not too different from what's shown in the Monarch literature. Lots of "anti-tip" width, the length more why not? I had 3 more 10,000 lb. straps to use and was satisfied with the one and the chain. When off loading, I used the chain as a check safety, ~ 6" max of slack at a time, and pulled the lathe off with two ratchet straps. You can see the angle got steep for the length of my 2X, some 1/2" pipe and some scrap wood for dunage took care of that. If I had had the Rino wheels I mentioned earlier on the parallel beams, wouldn't have need the pipe. But it was no big deal, have moved a lot of stuff on those pieces of pipe. The wedges were my secondary safety, the key is to not let any momentum build up and if at all possible a partner to drop the pallet jack "NOW" if needed. Never had the lathe any higher that maybe 3" off the deck and that at the very end. But no way was she going to tip. I think it took me as long to walk the trailer over literally 2" at a time to get the trailer so it would drop on the garage slab then to get the lathe off.

The Monarch has three holes for leveling feet, and as other mentioned I used all thread. By having the two parallel beams on the bottom, it was no problem to set the lathe down and drill the holes in place. I left the middle beam free so I could adjust it as needed for my pallet jack, exactly as the factory middle beam was not secured, just held by the weight of the lathe. The frame was already together with pockets drilled out for the nuts and washers to sit in and the lathe simply dropped on top.

In fact I just moved the lathe from VA to WA on the same "pallet" in a 8' PODS rated for 5k lb. Rolled right off the pallet jack and into the PODS with two of us. Could have done it alone if I'd had to. Then after the late "make a decision now" home purchase we found PODS wouldn't deliver to the house. Had the PODS delivered to a self storage where we slid it onto another kneeling drop deck trailer and then right into the garage where she sits till I get a shop building up. Slow and steady.

"If" the roll on wrecker deck can match the height of the dock, I'll walk back my comment about them as you can make the pallet and have that loaded. Even without a forklift, it doesn't take long at all the leaver up the lathe 3/4" in at a time from either end until it's high enough to get the cross beams under it and the lathe bolted down. Then with a pallet jack, pipe, or that forklift over to the wrecker you go.

View attachment 415187View attachment 415188
Ops, bad memory LOL. Looks like I did bolt down the center beam for the move, never again. Monarch had it right.

A few things about 10EE that haven't been mentioned and "Why" the jealousy. This is a ramble, not well organized . . .

They were built to a use standard, not a "This is what we want to see it sell for." price. Companies like GE, Boeing, government contractors, knew exactly what they were getting when they decided to pay the price. Like as much as a home the, in those days, guy running it might live in. Today a factory re-maunfactured one is no different.

The Ward-Leonard Motor Generator drive takes AC and turns a DC generator mounted on the same shaft to run a separate DC motor in the headstock. On top of the MG is an "exciter" that will prime the DC generator to get it going. Occasionally if the exciter has set a long time it too will need to be primed with a 6v battery. There's a rotation arrow on it that will provide the clue if you got the legs wired up correctly. The belts are standard, and will often go on without needing to loosen anything which is good as then you don't have to realign the exciter and the MG.

The electro-mechanical drive control provides variable speed with uniform torque. You may have caught about losing low RPM torque when converting to an all AC drive. Many don't need the low speed torque so don't care. "But" the transmission has to be adapted to the replacement motor, nothing off the shelf, welding and machining skills required. Because the motor is isolated in the cast base that's heavy as heck and connected by belts to the headstock spindle, the work is very isolated from vibration. I honestly haven't had a chance to make chips with mine yet, cross country move. "But" trusting those who have run them they will turn that 10" "whatever" down to 9-1/2" with huge cuts and still leave a finish to drool over. Oh, the headstock spindle taper is a very unique and an interesting specification. You can look up the dirty details later. Grab any tooling that fits it! The tailstock is a #3 Morse Taper (MT), very easy to come by. Hopefully y9u are getting a nice tool post and holders with it.

It is quite possible to learn the nuances of a "trashed" machine and still make it work. |Good|Quick|Cheap| you can have any two. 1,000s of hobbyists have learned how to work around the worn parts of a machine and turn out fine work. Their time was cheap, and they got good. From what you have said, I seriously doubt this 10EE has been abused. Some parts do want to have due diligence taken, the correct modern day lube for the headstock bearings is one place and if the lathe has sat, changing the lube before it is run hard is TOP Priorty! You do not want to be replacing those babies. Some modern oils have very similiar names but are designed for different purposes. 100's of opinions, some decisions you will make and live with. There is an automatic way and cross slide lubrication system, "but" the metering ports are like an old school carburetor jets and the hole size matched to the lenght of the tube running to it. They have filters that CANNOT be cleaned or replaced. They are supposed to be replaced annually, so anticipate they will not work and you will be manually lubricating the ways and cross slide like you would probably have done if I hadn't mentioned this. They are a PIA to replace, more so if the copper tubing also has to be replaced. After that, getting them primed is also a royal PIA!

Some people like to make things and aren't all that wound about the paint like the hot rod that spends most of it's life primer gray. But don't bet pink slips :) Some people take a great deal of joy making something look better and work at least as well than it did when it left the factory. I've read the story on the red example that was posted, it was like that. I mentioned the guy on PM with like 400 posts covering every detail of his round dial rebuild. And he's not done. But man is it going to look nice. He just finished hand relacing the wiring lume! Looks like it was done for NASA and it is tied with NASA spec. knots.

The lathes were used to make small very precise things. Like parts for bomb sites and nuclear weapons. Tools to make tools. One off prototypes. I've seen several posts by people in the medical device profession who still crank out "stuff" on the 10EE faster than the time necessary to get the CAD done and loaded into the CNC. Of course now days a rare breed. Called a 10" for the largest diameter of a piece of material that will fit, it is actually 12-1/2" but the bed is short, too short for many gunsmiths. Many lust after the few longer bed Monarch 10EEs made. Some were literally burred as nuclear waste after they became too contaminated making stuff some wish had never been created. There are some places on the lathe that do make your head shake. The taper attachment bracket is a known weak point and often broken or missing. The handles are all hand fitted with tapered pins, so like old British cars, anything new has to also be fitted. Or care taken when re-installing. There are places like the lead screw and shaft bearings that were often ignored because they were "lubricated for life." Right . . .

Oh, look and see if there is a metric thread plate on the headstock end cover. If there is, inquire very politely if someone could help you poke around and see if the $1,600 change gears are thrown in a cabinet. Even if there isn't a plate, I'd ask. I'm sick thinking DOD required a set with mine, they were probably thrown in a cabinet and later pitched when the lathe was declared surplus and no one remembered what they went too. Sadly all too common regardless of where the machine lived.

Monarch will sell you a manual that's mostly generic, but has any pages needed for how your lathe left the shop. Funny, the "Works in a Drawer" (WIAD) with the tubes are common in the wild. Not so the MG. I'd purchase one, "BUT" tell them you are not in a rush and don't need a $25 FedEx. That will lower the price considerably. Assuming they will do it for you. Some pages will be missing, they are as far as anyone can tell "unobtainabium." The manual was written for a different age, for people who were already experienced machinests, had a factory rep sent to show them how to run it, or a journeyman with know how. How to make it run is like 1/3 in and burred in the middle of a paragraph. The handle is by the chuck, and moving it to the left, counter clock wise, will make the lathe run counter clock wise. :) To the right is not "forward."

If/when you need help with wiring and "we" here can't help you figure it out, Cal who moderates the PM board is the small ego, go to person who has many things squirreled away, had an interest in becoming a subject matter expert on the MG, and is more than willing to share. I felt fortunate to be able to pass on some schematics that came with my machine he'd not seen before. My machine was probably special built for DOD as a MG after the new stndard WiaD were in regular production. Conjector is at that time the MG was a well known product and DC on a ship was normal power. Don't need the WiaD. DOD and some other companies were powerful enough to get what they wanted made, but by then the MG parts were not as common. One of my resistors was the wrong size, I suspect because they only had what they had and the order sheet said as soon as the inspection was completed, the machine was to be prepared for long term storage. The "opise" wouldn't matter for a long time . . . At least you won't have to be reeducated on not assuming the MG is trash and the first thing to be replaced. Sometimes that is the smart way to go, but probably not in your case. In my case it was simply a matter of working through the well known problems, replacing the usual suspect corroded resistors, with the proper size, and putting a couple of wires back where they belonged. Moved in a ham handed troubleshooting attempt easy to see what was being tried that didn't work. Probably a "Hey you, make one more try to get that Monarch going before we send it to disposal." and the poor repair person not knowing where to find the resources needed. Assumption anyway.

OK, hope this helps you as much as it would have helped me to have in one read rather than nuggets cast through a few 100 posts in almost as many threads.

Ron

Great write up. I believe that most if not all 10EE had an MT2 tailstock and my memory ( not always great ) is that the headstock spindle was Jarno 12.

There is always a lot of info regarding the motor and drive but another thing to check is the feed and threads gearbox. The round dial in particular has a very quick - push the knob in to change feeds and pull it out to run - system but over time wear can cause the knob to not hold in the pulled out position under load and grind the gears in the rack. Test that all the threads hold as that is when both the feed and lead screws are running. The mechanism inside the box is finicky to deal with, especially when putting back together. In a non production world, I'd prefer a different design but that is because I've had trouble with mine. Not much to pick on when discussing the 10EE ( maybe a D1-4 ). Dave

Great write up. I believe that most if not all 10EE had an MT2 tailstock and my memory ( not always great ) is that the headstock spindle was Jarno 12.

. . . . Dave
Arg, my bad on the MT, thanks for the correction! I was tired, knew I would both butcher "Jarno" and couldn't explain it off the top of my head, and didn't wantbto look it uo. Still a very interesting standard based on a mathematical progression as I understand it. Wish it had become more popular. I have 5 machines that all take different collets plus at least one indexing head with another. Won't count the Van Norman I'll probably never be able to resurrect. And thanks for the kudo. Mine was a very lucky purchase with a couple of real gut checks "Do I really want to take this on???!!!" frankly I was and am content with my Logan 820 that's going no where. I love to read and research, down the rabbit hole I go, so thought I type it up. Soon to be lost in the tangle of only discovered by accident postings. There is a long running thread over on PM "What's the alure?" I need to give a nod to.

Ron

I'm in the middle of a CVA rehab so my 10EE knowledge is mainly what parts can be swapped with CVA to make sourcing easier. Generally " almost " identical which is little help. Dave

Back