Advice on Monarch 10EE and Bridgeport Series 1 acquisition

Couple quick comments:
You can't run the 10EE with a VFD unless you replace the entire motor-generator guts with a new motor (which you may end up doing if there are problems). You may want a slightly bigger RPC than 5 HP, say 7.5HP, to run the 10EE? That's a close call, 5HP may work fine. The bridgeport would definitely benefit from a VFD conversion as it would reduce messing with the belts for speed changes.

How much can you find out about the current status of the machines? Were they in a hobby shop? If so how were they powered there? Is the previous owner available to ask?
Okay i understand the drive alittle better now. VFD only if the current drive is retrofit to a single 3 phase motor?

They were powered using commercial 3 phase, they are from a plant... used for repairing molds and whatever else needed servicing, not daily use.

For the move you’d probably want some machine skates and rent a forklift for the day. Drop trailers are nice but with a forklift I don’t see it being needed.
I do have access to a forklift. Problem i saw was the machine would have to be near the edge of the forks in order to clear the ledge onto the trailer. I could be wrong?

Once on the trailer you can inch it to center or pull from the other side? Rigging takes thought and awareness of dangers. You don’t want injury to people or the machines. Rolling machines on pipe works great keeps loads low machine skates are a treat.

I do have access to a forklift. Problem i saw was the machine would have to be near the edge of the forks in order to clear the ledge onto the trailer. I could be wrong?
I would not lift a 10EE from underneath, put a good lift strap around the casting web just right of the chuck/spindle nose, and hang the strap from the forks. That's how I've moved mine several times. These machines will tip over on you pretty quickly, both of them are top heavy. A 10EE weighs somewhere around 3500 lbs. You may be able to find someone on here that is nearby that would be willing to help you move them. Can't hurt to ask, offer lunch ...

I would not lift a 10EE from underneath, put a good lift strap around the casting web just right of the chuck/spindle nose, and hang the strap from the forks. That's how I've moved mine several times. These machines will tip over on you pretty quickly, both of them are top heavy. A 10EE weighs somewhere around 3500 lbs. You may be able to find someone on here that is nearby that would be willing to help you move them. Can't hurt to ask, offer lunch ...
Sorry if i worded that wrong. I meant lifting it with a strap, to 'drop' it off the ledge, it would have to be near the edge of the forks.

Sorry if i worded that wrong. I meant lifting it with a strap, to 'drop' it off the ledge, it would have to be near the edge of the forks.
Not sure what ledge you're dropping it off of? Loading dock?
If you can get onto the same level as the trailer, about 1/2 way out on the forks from the back side of the lathe should get you over the side of a trailer, even if not centered. Set it down near one side, then lift it up again farther out on the forks, but only lifting it by an inch or so off the deck, to move it closer to the center.

If you mean the strap would slip off the forks you would just use heavy duty c clamps and clamp to the very end or where every to keep the strap from moving.

Not sure what ledge you're dropping it off of? Loading dock?
If you can get onto the same level as the trailer, about 1/2 way out on the forks from the back side of the lathe should get you over the side of a trailer, even if not centered. Set it down near one side, then lift it up again farther out on the forks, but only lifting it by an inch or so off the deck, to move it closer to the center.
The machines are up on the level of the loading bay (4 feet). Not sure how to get it on the same level as the trailer.

Im not worried about the straps falling off, More-so the balance of the forklift, because 1/2 way on the forks doesn't seem like it would be enough to clear the ledge of the loading bay.

Can you set them close to the edge of the loading bay then drive the forklift outside through another entrance?

Back