Advice on shaft coupling?

If your okay with buying the couplers than why not buy a 1/4 set and bore one side out 1/2?
One crude coupler would be a flange on each shaft with two holes spaced equally apart. Then use some reinforced rubber with your hole spacing but make the holes in a cross pattern. Two holes connect motor side two holes connect device. The coupler will allow slight misalignments and depending on rubber used will handle lots of torque.

Check out SDP-SI.com for smaller diameter rotary motion components (including couplings). Lots of different style for varying levels of accuracy. Probably get whatever is cheap for your application. They can custom bore them if you need, or I often buy one size smaller and finish them myself.

I have a small 1 rpm motor with a shaft that mikes out as 0.240" diameter that I need to couple to a shaft on a larger component that is pretty much exactly 0.500" diameter.
The gearbox on your motor output shaft, and the target you're turning, are unlikely to be easy to align accurately; journal bearings
only have .002" oil clearance, you have to line up very accurately, or... use a compliant coupling.
The easiest compliant coupling to build is with a sylphon (metal bellows), bronze or SS, soldered/brazed/welded/riveted to turned shaft
collars. Lovejoy or spring couplings, or even universal joint types, are also available (in standard sizes) but it sounds like
the gearmotor isn't exactly one of those. At 1rpm, it's likely you will require a fair amount of torque, too.

One crude coupler would be a flange on each shaft with two holes spaced equally apart. Then use some reinforced rubber with your hole spacing but make the holes in a cross pattern. Two holes connect motor side two holes connect device. The coupler will allow slight misalignments and depending on rubber used will handle lots of torque.

Horizontal Cub Cadet rag joints . :grin: I replaced or upgraded many of them in my past .

One step above a large hammer, two more ideas to think about:

The first would be to drill the 1/2 shaft a fuzz under 1/4 (15/64?) and mount a setscrew to latch onto the flat on the timing motor. The timing motor would more or less float, torquing against some sort of stop.

The other would be a bushing from 1/4-- out to 1/2 with a rubber hose for a coupling.

The 1/4 shaft on the timing motor is indicative of a relatively low torque, low speed application.

A bit late, but that's the norm for me. I just received an eMail that contains a "wish list" of odd parts. Following the link should provide the home address and other stuff. I would say to order several, and some other parts as well. The "flat rate" shipping is a killer. It looks like boring one end to 1/2 inch will leave enough meat for a setscrew. But at that price, if it doesn't work your out a couple of cold drinks.

Back