Advice on training

vincent52100

Registered
Registered
Hi all. I'd like to know if there are any self taught machinists out there. About myself: 67 years old with a background in mechanics (motorcycle and construction equipment, never cared that much for cars) I'm retired and my hobby is motorcycles, the older the better. I would like to be able to make some parts, foot peg brackets, exhaust brackets, different types of mounts etc. I had a small mini lathe that I used to make bushings and spacers. I would like to move up to some things that are a little more complicated. Equipment: I just purchased a Logan 10 x 24 with a grinding attachment, boring bar, collets, taper attachment, tooling etc. I'm going to purchase a milling machine, something like a G0704. I'm very mechanically inclined I think), Is this something I could teach myself? Thanks

Hi all. I'd like to know if there are any self taught machinists out there. About myself: 67 years old with a background in mechanics (motorcycle and construction equipment, never cared that much for cars) I'm retired and my hobby is motorcycles, the older the better. I would like to be able to make some parts, foot peg brackets, exhaust brackets, different types of mounts etc. I had a small mini lathe that I used to make bushings and spacers. I would like to move up to some things that are a little more complicated. Equipment: I just purchased a Logan 10 x 24 with a grinding attachment, boring bar, collets, taper attachment, tooling etc. I'm going to purchase a milling machine, something like a G0704. I'm very mechanically inclined I think), Is this something I could teach myself? Thanks

You can teach yourself anything as long as you have enough brains, patience, self-discipline, and time.

Hey Vincent Go for it. You'll learn from your mistakes and when ever you get a chance come on and ask a question Maybe you'll prevent a few. Logan is good one for what you wanna do. Heccck you're just a kid so get with it and enjoy and participate.
dickr

You are in the company of like minded Internet friends :)

You can absolutely teach yourself. I was taught in a limited capacity by a machinist years ago, but have taken almost any opportunity over the years to get access to and use machine tools. I can say I've only had a few days every year to work on the machines before I could afford my mill and now my lathe.

One of the best resources aside from asking any question (as silly or basic as it may be) on this forum will be YouTube. Some of my favorite channels on YouTube include, but are not limited to:

Keith Fenner
Abom79
Oxtoolco
Tom's Techniques
Tubalcain/mrpete222

If books are more of your methodology, the Machinery's Handbook is recommended by most.

This is just like any other skill: start with an interest, practice, fail, practice, make some more scrap (or decorative art as I like to refer to it), and just keep at it. Learn from mistakes and move on. If you use aluminum, you can just make a forge and recycle the scrap anyway :thumbsup:

As you get more comfortable, you'll begin to push the machinery more to see the capability of your tooling.

Oh and don't forget to ask questions. No one here will pass any judgment. Even the basic questions are good ones.

Last edited:
Absolutely you can train yourself .....and the advice on watching You-tube is spot on ...there is a wealth of info on there and elsewhere on the net ...Remember the most important thing to learn about new machines is how to operate them safely ....
Good luck there are plenty here that share your quest

WOW! Thanks for all the responses! Am looking forward to getting my hands dirty.

Vincent,

I am self taught. I have worked as a simple machine operator to a toolmaker with no papers. I was also a special machine designer for a few years. I make a lot of parts for motorcycles. I have designed and made a couple sets of foot controls to switch sides for friends. You will learn as you go along. I have made mistakes and probably will again. But when I do I learn from them and use that knowledge for other projects.

Welcome to the site and don't be afraid to ask anything.

Vincent,
Welcome.
About 4 years ago I was where you are now.
I've learned alot by teaching myself.
Some good, and some not so good (lost some blood, but I still have all my fingers, and both eyes!).
I've done this by reading stacks of free internet vintage texts and asking heaps of annoying questions here.

This site has many very patient people who are willing to walk through things with you at your pace, and you won't get trounced for asking an obvious question (note my spur gear question from yesterday- I'll be working on the obvious for months).
Note: I ended up taking some classes at the local Vo-Tech because while I was learning much, I wanted to increase my efficiency and produce less precision scrap. The classes have helped immensely.

However, the wealth of extremely patient international experience and perspective you will find here cannot be replaced by my Vo-Tech.

Note: Here the many contributors and moderators police each other and make sure, as best they are able, that I don't commit machine tool atrocities. As far as other internet sites go... Some are very good. Others will cost you fingers and eyes. Just like everything else in life, you will need to be careful about what your read and learn.

However, HM continues to be a safe place.
Hope to see you on the forums!

Daryl
MN

When I brought my first mill home I did not even know what a mill was other then a glorified drill press. Soon after I picked up a larger lathe. I have learned everything I know on my own by reading posts on this site, as mentioned already You Tube is loaded with info. Though there was not as much on it when I was learning. Also there are videos you can buy, maybe rent, that really go into depth, that were the most useful for me. Then there is finding easy projects to do so you can learn along the way. I still have much to learn but I use the mill and/or lathe on a almost daily basis for projects or repairs I am always working on. I am good at teaching myself things, especially with the internet and Google, so your mileage my differ but it is not that difficult if you put the time into it. You will find that the hardest thing is having the right tooling and all that takes is $$$.

I think it was Thomas Edison who said "I have not failed. I just found 10,000 ways that don't work". Thanks again for the support.

Back