Advice with painting.

tomjaksa

Registered
Registered
Hi all

I am a new member from South Africa. Have been reading this forum for a while now but now its my first post.
I am busy cleaning up a Weiler Condor lathe. Will make a thread for that as soon as i learn how to post pics.
I need some advice regarding the painting ...............
I have a 2 pack poly paint that is straight to metal so no primer needed.
My question is regarding filler....do i put it onto metal or do i put first coat on and then filler?

Like others have mentioned, filler first, however if you don't prime/seal the filler, you will have two different sheens to the end product. I would fill, sand smooth and prime the entire machine prior to top coat for a nice solid finish. Just my .02

Thanks Paco.
Your 2 cents could save dollars. Or should i say Rand(South Africa) ?
I will be spraying the door panels first. they have a small patch of filler in the corners. The paint has a very high build ability. Will try it out.
This paint seems super....We did some "heavy" testing in the shop. The metal swatch we folded in have to form a crease and the straight again. No crack.
Then i took a hammer to the swatch.........some indentations but no cracking.
It was designed for Oil rigs in the North Sea so i think it should be sufficient for my Weiler. Not so concerned with the finish....its to protect the machine after all.
But if its nice and shiny its easier to clean though.....so we will see.
Still trying to figure out how to post photos:dunno:

Also a guy from SA here. I'd really like to know where you got that paint. Otherwise, if its some kind of one-time deal (like got it from surplus stock or something) I would definitely appreciate it if you could pass along some if you have extra. Thanks.

Sent from my VIE-L09 using Tapatalk

in an automotive application bare metal would be epoxy primed and then the filler. since it is a machine, and the metal is much thicker than the typical 19ga sheet metal, then it doesn't matter which way you do it.

on the other hand why would you be using filler? i can't imagine the factory did.

Back