Affixing brass

Maplehead

Registered
Registered
Hi All

What’s the best way to affix brass? (Gluing, soldering, brazing)
I have two pieces I want to join together.
2.5” long by 4-40 threaded brass rod
3/8” wide by 1/8” thick brass “nut”
So I want to screw the nut onto the rod about 1/4” of the way in and then affix it in place.
The joint needs to be strong.
What’s the best way to do this?

I have found Silver Soldering to be more than adequate.

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:
1/4 way into the nut (1/16) or 1/4 way onto the threaded rod?
Loctite might work or epoxy cement
Mark

Easiest is standard solder.

Have a 100 to 200 watt pistol standard gun style iron and flux as it helps greatly.

Put flux in nut then screw in brass and work nut a bit to get it worked in.

Heat nut with iron and with rod pointing upward add solder to thread interface and when it slows in properly fill it and let it cool.

Plenty strong and can be undone

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

1/4 of the way into an 1/8" thick nut is 1/32". This is 1- 1/4 threads on a 4-40 thread. Even without a chamfer on the end of the rod or the threaded hole, this isn't sufficient for a strong joint. If there is room for a generous fillet, I would silver solder with the fillet for best strength. Or better yet, redesign the part.

If there's mechanical support (rod through a hole), plain solder or "silver bearing" solder is fine.
If it needs to be strong without mechanical piloting (like butt or tee jointed rods), then true silver solder may be needed.
But be careful- even "soft/easy/low temp" silver solder requires enough heat that you'll anneal your brass to dead soft.

In general, I go for piloted fits, then use (fairly) low temp silver bearing solder like Stay-Brite or Tix, with the appropriate flux.

I'm in the silver solder camp too . However I learned something awhile back , I had two pieces of brass 1" wide and 5" long by 1/4 thick ( I'm not sure what kind of brass) I thought I needed it brazed together . I took it to a welder and he Heliarced it together , turned out very clean .

Back