After 3M Roloc disks

Maplehead

Registered
Registered
Hi All
I’m trying to get a mirror finish on my 24gauge nickel silver guitar pickup covers so that I can nickel plate them. After I form the sheets into the pickup covers I have to debur and sand out the scratches. I’ve been using those 3M 2” roloc disks. They work well but..,
How do I get the swirl marks out?
I end with their highest grade which is the gray SFN disks. I’ve trided buffing iut with sisel and black compound but nothing is working.
Any ideas?

Check out the Clickspring videos on YouTube. he shows a lot of polishing to mirror finish although it is in brass, not Nickel. Still it might give you some ideas. I also know that some Jewelers tumble Silver for mirror finishes.

A couple of these and you ought to have favorable results.
I've used Simichrome before on SS with good results.

Hi All
I’m trying to get a mirror finish on my 24gauge nickel silver guitar pickup covers so that I can nickel plate them. After I form the sheets into the pickup covers I have to debur and sand out the scratches. I’ve been using those 3M 2” roloc disks. They work well but..,
How do I get the swirl marks out?
I end with their highest grade which is the gray SFN disks. I’ve trided buffing iut with sisel and black compound but nothing is working.
Any ideas?

Micro mesh sandpaper. Sand with repeatedly finer sandpaper (12000 grit) until even the swirls are gone. Then 2 levels of sanding cream. Amazing results.

Back