Again About Posting Pictures

ARKnack

Registered
Registered
Ok, I done some searching but didn't find this topic or a sticky. From what I gathered there are 2 ways to post a picture. Either create an album or a link to a web site like Photo Bucket.
Questions;
1) I went to photos and can see albums but I can't find how to create an album?
2) If I create an album, can I create multiple albums based on subject matter (band saw, lathe, tooling, ect.) or do I have to create one big album?
3) Currently I use Shutter fly but I have not been able to link to it at other sites. I have no problems moving to Photo Bucket and most likely will. Seems like everyone uses it. So is Photo bucket a better way to go than albums? A problem I see using Photo Bucket is the links get broken for what ever reason. I hate going to a thread and all the pictures are removed. Our user agreement states that pictures and posting remain here.
4) If albums are used, can guest that come to this site still see the pictures? Again some sites are members only which I believe is a disservice to potential new members, but that is just my pet peeve.

If you use the "Upload a File" button when posting, the pictures are placed in the Forum archive area. You do not have to create your own album unless you want to.

I despise photbucket, It is one of the worst sites I use. It is also so slow that it gets really frustrating when trying to link a series of photos.
It is just pure laziness that has kept me with them. Every time I use the site, I swear to myself I will find a different hosting service.

That said it does work. I have never had a link break and I have been using it for years. I have seen links fail on other forums from people using up their bandwidth, this has never happened with me though (that I know of).
More likely the broken links you see come from people deleting the image from the photobucket website.

I am pretty sure you have limited storage here on this site, so you could use up your storage and have to delete images. The few images I have uploaded here always end up as thumbnails too. I prefer to read threads with full sized images, so I prefer not to use thumbnails. I assume there is probably a way to get them to display full size. Direct linking them imbeds the image into the thread and is easier to read. You can change the size of imbedded images as well.

when you upload photos using the "upload a file" button, there is a button to choose to display thumbnail or full size in the body of the post. The full size image is always on the site. If your files are too large, there are a variety of free image editing software to reduce filesize. I recommend GIMP as the best of the free options. https://www.gimp.org/downloads/

Gimp is a much easier than photoshop. you can easily do simple tasks like resizing, cropping, color, and brightness correction.

as a short cut, if you email yourself images as attachments without putting them in a folder, the email software will usually reduce the filesize for you.

I do not know if there is an official limit to the number of photos you can post.

There is some kind of waiting period for new users. It may be time related or the number of post.

When you use the "Upload a File" option the pic will show up as a thumbnail. Below it you have two choices, Thumbnail or Full Size. Choose Full Size and that is what will post. You have unlimited upload capability, we all do. I have been loading pics for a few years and have never had to delete any.

"Billy G"

This is only one of many things I prefer about this site as it will let you download your photos with out going thru any other site to get them here. Another site I do look at once in a while you have to kind of go thru another site to get photos posted ( to much work for an old guy ) Another thing I don't like photos just out there anywhere that could be clipped by others.

Thanks everyone. I'll go over to the practice site and play a bit. I will probably be hit with picture limitations but that will be up to the monitor to decide if I can up load more. Big snow storm coming tonight so Saturday will be sit inside and stay warm day. My shop (pole barn) doesn't have any heat yet.

Ok, I done some searching but didn't find this topic or a sticky. From what I gathered there are 2 ways to post a picture. Either create an album or a link to a web site like Photo Bucket.
Questions;
1) I went to photos and can see albums but I can't find how to create an album?
2) If I create an album, can I create multiple albums based on subject matter (band saw, lathe, tooling, ect.) or do I have to create one big album?
3) Currently I use Shutter fly but I have not been able to link to it at other sites. I have no problems moving to Photo Bucket and most likely will. Seems like everyone uses it. So is Photo bucket a better way to go than albums? A problem I see using Photo Bucket is the links get broken for what ever reason. I hate going to a thread and all the pictures are removed. Our user agreement states that pictures and posting remain here.
4) If albums are used, can guest that come to this site still see the pictures? Again some sites are members only which I believe is a disservice to potential new members, but that is just my pet peeve.

I am not computer guy but, If you down load a link from photobucket and later move it to a different folder in photobucket the picture will not longer show on the site you posted only now this from experience.

I personally would like to see a size limitation on the photos.
Or posters resizing them for the board before posting.
Its annoying when the OP uses the thumbnails and then a gigantic 3Mb or more image slowly loads.
You only need a file size of less than 1Mb to show a pretty detailed image.
Large image resolutions are only required for printing.
I'm lucky in that I have a fast unlimited connection but there are many who dont and it must be particularly galling to waste bandwidth waiting for 3+meg images to down load.
(the above are personal opinions and in no way a slur against this forum or management which I think is the best one out there)

Back