Air Compressor Filter

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Guys I thought I would service my air compressor by adding little oil,drain tank.So I thought while here I would dust off the air filter.Well heck it’s gone just little dust from that old sponge filter.Guts these filters are made out of just a very porous sponge filter.So I went shopping found what I needed but they want 38.00 ouch.Its just maybe 2”x3”x6” So surely there material out there that I can make my own but when I google air filter all kinds choices come up but not what I’m looking for.I don't know what you would call this piece of sponge but surely there something out there thats cheaper than 38.00 Guys what could suggest for material for making your own?

Check eBay, Amazon etc. Search "foam air filter for air conditioner". That should bring up a choice of several sizes of flat foam. And the price is usually reasonable, but watch out for the shipping cost.
Chuck

I replaced the open paper filter on mine with one off I believe a Chev pickup for a 350. The housing made an amazing diference masking the valve noise.
IMG_1949.jpg

Greg

Depending on the size of your compressor get a suitable car filter, paper element type,that you can clean every month or so depending on running hours and it should be both low cost and effective.

Last edited:
I like this, also an opportunity for some "Bling" with all of the Chrome air filter housings available :)

Well there you go. I hadn't thought of that. For a small compressor a filter off a motorcycle or even, as someone else had suggested, a lawnmower filter, they are cheap.

Buy a purpose made compressor intake filter such as mcmaster-carr 4399K41. Not that expensive, works very well and lasts a long time. Wonder how your compressor liked the filter pieces?...............Bob

The stock air box on my air compressor used a foam cube. I didn't like it & replacements were expensive. I just cleaned it with fuel though.

I bought a Solberg air filter on ebay for like $15. Replacement filters are like $5 but last time I checked was yrs ago. I've had it for like 7 yrs now, I check the filter every couple of yrs, the filter always looks clean but my garage isn't really dusty. I just blow it out. This reminded me so I just checked it & snapped a few pics.

20191109_125809.jpg20191109_125826.jpg20191109_130119.jpg

Back