Air Compressor Wall Mount

Time to engineer...

Side note first, we mounted our 5 hp RPC to the top of one of the posts of the car lift.

Clean and out of the way until we fire it up and the hollow post became a megaphone and noise level nuts.

Isolator pads on bolts solved it.

Back to task.

The wall will become a speaker as the compressor being soundly attached will translate every movement into the wall.

The movement of compressor also will place stresses on every joint so in addition to maintaining the load of dead weight of compressor the joints need to be vibration resistant.

If bolted use side shear design where the fasteners are perpendicular to the loads so a loose nut will will not fail.

The shelf supports should be a triangle with the top rail having long screw vertical down into the wall rail with the top rail on top.

Bottom support resting against vertical support with screw in from wall side so force is same as tightening screw.

Outside part screw downwards and rail under top rail

Top shelf screws through supports.

Vertical supports can be lugged to studs or to a back board and lugged.

The compressor needs to be bolted down with isolators specific for the weight.

Use set with studs as easier to assemble.

Air hose needs service loop to isolate vibration as does power cord.

Select a wall farthest from living quarters.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

My $.02:
1) Prepare 3ea 2x6s long enough to cover three studs, each with 2 carriage bolts spaced to match compressor mount dimension. The carriage bolt heads to be on the WALL side (threads toward struts). Screw/lag the 2x6s, horizontally to the building framing. One about compressor level. One near bottom of angle brackets. the third near the floor.
2) Use 8ft long struts resting on isolater pads on the floor. This carries the vertical load (and vibration) to the floor, not the wall. Isolating Pads
3) Attach the struts to using the isolators, as linked, and elastic stop nuts. Don't over compress the isolators. Leave them soft enough to absorbe, rather than transmit the vibration. Vibration Damping Mounts
4) Strut system Engineering Data is available on the web so verify the load carrying capacity of the angle bracket you intend to use. Buying the appropriate brackets will be easy.
4) Mount the compressor to the brackets using the linked type isolators, and elastic stop nuts. Choose isolators for the appropriate weight of your compressor. Vibration Isolators
5) Use the unobstructed strut to attach other clever storage solutions.
6) show us pictures when you get 'er done.

ddickey, i've done something like this long time ago and had to redo it two times, first time just bolted it to the metal colum ( steel building), and the nose an vibration was horible, so i mounted the compressor on car gearbox mounts, rubber with bolts on both sides and put styrofoam on the sides, this made it good, but couple of weeks letter a welded legs to the brackets that is anchored to the floor and made a shelf from them and this helped alot.

You could make a set of shelves or storage rack and mount it on top so you could use the space underneath.
Hanging it from the ceiling joists might be another option.

I mounted my air comp outside in its own little shed, unconnected to my shop, except for electric and pipe lines; doesn't take up shop space and is much less noisy.

Mounting outside is the way to go here is what happened to mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They had one explode at the shop I worked at right before I started. 150gal tank went through the roof.

Here's how I did mine, above the small metal storage and shop door. Two 80 gallon, 5 hp.

1527862486623.png

I actually was looking at a big 400 liter air tank today at the junkyard, it was at 25$ but there was no plate with year of production and someone welded three big pipes for legs to hold it vertically, i'm not sure is it worth risking it, it looked to be in good shape not much rust and no big dents.

I actually was looking at a big 400 liter air tank today at the junkyard, it was at 25$ but there was no plate with year of production and someone welded three big pipes for legs to hold it vertically, i'm not sure is it worth risking it, it looked to be in good shape not much rust and no big dents.
Do you have any places near you where you could have it hydro tested?

Back