Air-Flo end mill sharpening fixture questions

Marcduper

Registered
Registered
Good morning,

I have an Air-Flo end mill sharpening fixure. The spindel is hard to move with the suggested 100 psi applied. With no air pressure,it moves well. I don't have a manual or any other information except what is written on the name plate. Am I missing somthing? I have used air spindals before, and they were really sweet and easy to move. WIN_20190105_11_05_37_Pro.jpgWIN_20190105_11_06_02_Pro.jpg Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Marc

Disassemble, clean, lube reassemble, try it out. Oil turns to gum with time. Whoops hold the lube.

Last edited:
The tolerances on an air bearing are extremely tight. Any grit or oil or anything on the spindle will make it stick. Do not lube!

The spindel is hard to move with the suggested 100 psi applied. With no air pressure,it moves well.

Exactly the opposite you would expect. Right? Air to the shaft may be through porous graphite. Graphite clogged and being pushed into the spindle?
Only thing I can think of to make it tighter. Or whole housing deforming? Does it move normal with less air pressure?
The spindle on my surface grinder is basically unturnable without air, but spins free at 65psi.

Thanks for the help guys. I had the shaft installed in the opposite direction. I cleaned everything with solvent and it is running sweet!! My meter dosn't show any runout with 60 psi. Happy Happy.

Make sure you have a good air filter at the inlet. Keep contamination religiously away from the air bearing as best as you can, difficult to do if grinding or using coolant or cutting fluids...

I have one just like it, I think it is the best make of any of them, also have a Weldon that I would like to sell.

Back