Air Rifles/pistols?

great white

Active User
Registered
Apologies if this topic doesn't belong in the firearms forums but I wasn't sure where it would be best placed and this seemed logical.

Just curious if anyone works on air rifles/pistols?

Canada is pretty restrictive on pistols (not so bad on rifles, but still a PITA) so I pretty much just plink with air pistols in the back yard. Our pistol laws are just a PO, even though I've got a restricted weapon PAL (firearms license). Even transporting pistol to the range can be a PITA.

I've thought about maybe getting in to working on my pistols and maybe air rifles.

Gunsmithing might be interesting, but as I said, Canada is pretty restrictive. So I was thinking air guns might be a decent way to cut my teeth and not spend a lot of money to see if I enjoy that type of work.

My skills are still pretty amateur on the lathe, so it might be a good way to practice needed skills before moving up to something that can seriously go "bang".

I've got an old Crosman 1322 (great littel pistol really), a Umarex 9Xp and a Crossman .177 break over rifle (can't remember the model off have) that I though I could try making parts for and see how it goes. The 1322 is a particular pistol that has been modified up the ying yang over the years (mine i bne stock) so that's probably a good place to start.

Anyone work on air guns and able to offer any advice/websites?

Pretty interesting undertaking!

I've halfway been following airguns for many years. The advances are really coming along nicely, especially in Britain. Plenty of videos on youtube of people hunting big game with large bore air rifles: deer, hogs. Small game galore.

From the little I know about air guns, the smithing would be quite different from firearms. Besides run of the mill seal and spring changing there is not much to do to an air gun that COMPAREs to firearms. Scope mounting can present special challenges. Trigger work might be the closest to that of powder burning guns. It also depends on whether you want to just work on your own guns or sell your services.
Air guns are fascinating and are worth getting to know regardless of how related they might be mechanically. Crosman puts on a big event every year if you want to see some serious plinking.
http://www.crosman.com/connect/caaftc_wrapup/?hvid=2xgtfm

Last edited:
I have seen a few postings here over the years, one recently about someone looking to machine a o-ring groove inside a 0.177 hole.....I suspected and someone else confirmed that it was air rifle related.

By the way, I have never found the site search here to be very useful, instead try going to your favourite search tool and search the text:
"pellet gun" site: www.hobby-machinist.com
if you leave the quotes it will look for exactly "pellet gun".

Also kinda related is some people working on paint-ball guns. Doc's Machine is one site:
http://docsmachine.com/
I believe he is a member here as well.......

-brino

=======================================================
As an aside:
My favourite search is: www.duckduckgo.com
It's a silly name, but it sends your search text directly to google, and gives back google's responses, the difference is that it anonymizes the search for you. I _HATE_ that google is collecting every little piece of info about everyone all the time and tracking everything you do to build marketing models. I like android, I HATE google!
=======================================================

read up on pcp air guns...

my favorite .177 right here..

Careful, airguns give you a whole new way to spend money. Pretty much was why I started getting into machining some years back, to be able to make unobtainable parts and do some customizing instead of paying someone else to.

Disagree somewhat with Tozguy, in that there's such a variety of Airgun types and mechanisms and mechanics that there's actually no end of things you can do to them. Or get carried away and start making guns from scratch like this guy;

http://orro.net/category/airguns/

I got to shoot one of his rifles. Now even Crosman is making big bore hunting rifles.

I like this thread, I just ordered my first air springer, a HW 30s / Beeman R-7 w/out iron sights
Would be very coom to work on them.
ome

Very nice Thread
Pneumatic airgun is nice
Just follow the safety Rules
enjoy

Like I need another way to spend money... ;)

Air guns are on my 'todo' list once the shop is set back up.

Back