Air tools vs. electric ?

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Something I never would've thunked ………..air tools cost 4X the energy than the equivalent electric tools to operate . The past 4 days I've been involved in an energy study at the plant and this was one point that was driven in . We have people in worldwide . We have 24 very large compressors running at the plant in which we discovered the possibility of shutting 4 of these down . Just these savings added up to over 580,000 G . I would figure the air tools , motors etc to cost a bit more to operate , but our expert says electric vs. air pneumatic represents a 94% energy savings . Hm...………...I haven't used my air tools at home in quite a while . My biggest lesson learned here was not to work 11 straight days and nights without a break . o_O

Air consumption is one of those forgotten problems in a shop. Air compressors are usually tucked away out of site for noise and dust. One of the biggest culprits for air consumption is leaking airline fittings. You also can't forget the cost of running refrigerated air dryers. I think battery operated tools are the way of the future now.
11 straight days without a break! Think of all the money you made:grin:. I'm sure the income tax dept. appreciates all you're hard work. Lol
Cheers
Martin

Amazing isn't it?

Air tools were big back in 50's 60's 70's. Etc. One main reason No high voltage power cords draped all over the place. particularly in countries running 220 to 240 V. No RCD or earth leakage breakers back then. so the risk of electrocution was high. The shops I worked in back then had mostly air for hand tools, Electric tools were larger, permanently hard wired, like lathes, mills shapers etc. and almost always 415V 3 ph.

All our hand tools like die grinders, portable drills etc were air 100 -110 PSI even angle grinders were air. It was the same on the ships I worked on everything was air driven, Especially on the petroleum tankers. even our portable lights were air driven.

But the cost of running a large air plant is high not just the power to run the compressors, but the maintenance on them and constantly chasing down leaks. The last ship I was on, we had 2 x 100 HP. 2 cyl. 2 stage compressors with intercoolers and after coolers plus a 15 HP compressor just to keep the system pressure up when there was no demand.

I remember one factory boss, when I questioned the cost of running air tools he said that it was a lot less than the insurance for fire and personal; injury.

While it is absolutely true that pneumatic tools are not as efficient as electric tools are, air tools do have some advantages:

They run cooler, the expansion of compressed air cools it.
They are typically much simpler, with fewer parts to fail.
They typically tend to last longer, if kept supplied with dry air and kept properly lubricated.
They are usually more compact (smaller) than electric tools, and fit into tighter places.
They do not create sparks (though the mounted tools might.)
In my experience, they are much more reliable.
EDIT: They are also usually lighter. They also usually live a long life.

Electric tools are quieter.
Electric tools are more efficient to run.
Electric tools, as a system, can be much less expensive overall.

I have both types, and use each where it makes the most sense.

Last edited:
They both have their place and benefits in different areas of work but if I had a choice in the shop 9out of 10 times would be a electric tool. I agree though air tools and compressors are pigs in the energy world.

I agree though air tools and compressors are pigs in the energy world.

Yes , this was strictly an energy savings Kaizan event . I found it very interesting just how much energy was consumed by these large compressors .

Going to do the brakes on our Traverse this upcoming weekend; compressor will get fired up. However, I almost exclusively use my Milwaukee M12 tools for everything. I started with a 3/8" cordless drill and 1/4" impact. Added a 3/8" impact, 1/4" screwdriver and a 3/8" ratchet. Sheared off a couple of 1/4" - 20's with the 3/8" ratchet, so bought a 1/4" drive also. I like not having an air line draped over the floor. As mentioned above, both still have their place, but the torque they're getting from these little motors is amazing. Used the 3/8" 12V drill with a 1" augering bit to drill holes for stringing wire in the new chicken coup. No problems at all going through 2 x 4's.

Bruce

While it is absolutely true that pneumatic tools are not as efficient as electric tools are, air tools do have some advantages:

They run cooler, the expansion of compressed air cools it.
They are typically much simpler, with fewer parts to fail.
They typically tend to last longer, if kept supplied with dry air and kept properly lubricated.
They are usually more compact (smaller) than electric tools, and fit into tighter places.
They do not create sparks (though the mounted tools might.)
In my experience, they are much more reliable.
EDIT: They are also usually lighter. They also usually live a long life.

Electric tools are quieter.
Electric tools are more efficient to run.
Electric tools, as a system, can be much less expensive overall.

I have both types, and use each where it makes the most sense.
Bob has said it all; I entirely agree, I use my air tools as necessary, I miss my 15 HP compressor in my shop that I retired from!

If you already have a large compressor, or have tools where air is the only practical option (abrasive blasting for example) so getting a large compressor is necessary, then air tools are a pretty easy sale, as Bob says typically cheaper, simple, lighter weight and battery life is a non issue.

If you are someone like me, who just has a portable compressor not up to running the high demand air tools, the electric options keep taking away my excuses to go with a big compressor. Impact drivers and ratchets now have some good cordless options. I don't think cordless grinders are quite up to the task, but the corded ones are at least in a home setting. Plasma cutter? They now have some light to medium duty ones with a self contained compressor. Painting, the airless sprayers do a good job. Blast cabinet is really the only thing I can't find a way around having a decent size fixed compressor for. Well that and as an air supply for the steam whistle I want to hook up as my new door bell. :grin:

Back