AL/CE500D Installation questions

Geerbangr

Registered
Registered
I have a AL/CE500D power feed I purchased for my 20” Enco mill/drill.

As you can clearly see circled in green the bracket that fits the table doesn’t fit very well at all. Should I machine this bracket to fit the corner of the table nicely?

Second question, circled in red are the 2 bolts that hold the power unit onto the table bracket. Should I drill and tap the end of the table and install some longer bolts to help hold the unit to the table securely?

51BFD3C2-5E8A-4DF8-AD53-A6CC2C4B1AD0.jpeg

Also on the end of the bracket that holds everything to the table are 2 bolts. There’s about 1/4” gap between the bracket and the table. If you tighten these bolts you could easily break this bracket in half. There’s no way to drill for the 2 bolts circled in yellow. So, should I build some spacers to put behind the bracket so the bracket doesn’t get cracked in half while tightening the bolts?

Oh yeah, the directions to this unit SUCK!!

A063928D-27B3-4BEB-A96E-E0BE505B621F.jpeg

I have a AL/CE500D power feed I purchased for my 20” Enco mill/drill.

As you can clearly see circled in green the bracket that fits the table doesn’t fit very well at all. Should I machine this bracket to fit the corner of the table nicely?

Second question, circled in red are the 2 bolts that hold the power unit onto the table bracket. Should I drill and tap the end of the table and install some longer bolts to help hold the unit to the table securely?

I'm wondering if that kit is intended to fit your mill. The two holes in red are supposed to fit into the original housing that holds the thrust bearings in place. If the fit is correct, the holes in the bracket should line up with the OEM threaded holes in the table.

There is a second bracket that butt up against the part that is on your table and the two red bolts hold those two brackets tight to the end of the table. The bolts in yellow only stabilize the brackets and are not torqued down heavily.

Before drilling or modifying anything, I would confirm that you have the right model to fit your mill.

Another issue is that the bracket is above the plane of the table top. You are not able to bolt work longer than the table down to it. I would address that issue at the same time. Mikey posted while I am writing this, and I agree with him. See if the unit is actually supposed to fit your mill.

Geerbangr -
I have a vintage Align power feed on my vintage Grizzly RF-30 clone. The bottom surface of the mount sits flat against the top of the table. As to other possible mounting and alignment issues you might have, the main thing is to be sure that the gears mesh correctly and reliably. Bolts circled in red ... You should not need to drill into the mill table. The power feed is designed to mount without having to permanently alter the mill*. Bolts circled in yellow ... These should just be snug. There's no need to tighten them excessively. As you point out, this could stress the mount and possibly crack it. All you need is for the gears to stay in mesh.

*Note - at least, that's my take on the probable intent of the designers of these power feeds. That, and they wanted to make their units fit a wide variety of mills without having to provide an infinite number of customized instruction sets. OTOH, there's nothing preventing you from doing some kind of custom mount on your own. Just be careful that it doesn't get you into warranty issues.

Mikey -
"Before drilling or modifying anything, I would confirm that you have the right model to fit your mill." IIRC, there's only one model of Align power feed for RF-30 clones, and it's meant to be universal. If there is more than one, their only difference would be in motor power.

Bob -
The top surface of my unit is about ½" higher than the surface of the table, restricting the ability to bolt down long workpieces. That's a result of how it's mounted - it clamps around the top of the table between the groove at the left end of the T-slots and the end of the table. And it's not just the mounting bracket. The body of my power feed is pretty much even with the top of the bracket.

Mikey -
"Before drilling or modifying anything, I would confirm that you have the right model to fit your mill." IIRC, there's only one model of Align power feed for RF-30 clones, and it's meant to be universal. If there is more than one, their only difference would be in motor power.

I have an RF-31 with an Align AL/CE-500D and it fits perfectly. Unless the maker changed the hole pattern then it should fit fine ... except it doesn't. So, is it the mill table bolt pattern or the bracket from Align or ...? What I am saying is to sort out what the issue is first.

Another point to clarify - I am not clear on what an Enco 20" mill/drill is - is that an RF-30?

Bob -
The top surface of my unit is about ½" higher than the surface of the table, restricting the ability to bolt down long workpieces. That's a result of how it's mounted - it clamps around the top of the table between the groove at the left end of the T-slots and the end of the table. And it's not just the mounting bracket. The body of my power feed is pretty much even with the top of the bracket.
I would send it back and stick with dials and hand cranking before I would put up with something that fits like that one does.

Thanks for the replies fellas. I put it together today and it is as nice as sliced bread!!!

3B2DEFCA-15F9-4D80-BF2D-E4C88A3DD7A0.jpeg

Okay, so an RF-45, not a 30. Glad you got that sorted.

Back