AL, warm bend, or cold bend

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have an ambulance cot/gurney that the gorillas have manhandled. It will take a minimum of 1 month to get the parts through the chain of command. This is a 1' AL rectangular tubing 1/2" x 1" so that the wheels can swing up going into the patient compartment. My concern is having it crack when trying to press it straight again. What is the best approach?

I say new metal. Bending it back to previous will greatly fatigue it.
Aaron

I have successfully bent aluminium back to original positions and also 90' bends in 1/4 plate by heating it.
Use the smoke of a raw acetylene flame or candle to smoke the bend area, heat with a naked flame till the carbon disappears, bend a little at a time, re smoke etc etc.
You can feel it harden up if bending by hand and thats when to re smoke/anneal.

New piece is being ordered, and fatigue is a concern. I had hoped to use the press, thanks for the responses so far.

The metal can first be annealed by marking with a black Sharpie pen, then heated with a torch until the marks are gone. It's now safe to bend, but that's because the metal is now dead soft, rendering it no good if it has to bear a load. So yeah, ordering a replacement or making a new part is most efficient.

This is a collapsing joint that when leg are fully extended it keeps the legs from folding back(cross brace), but when triggered the joint folds to let the legs lay flat.

That is definitely a concern, it is not load bearing, so I took it apart to see what it would take. I bridged it between risers on the fab table, then used 4 screw clamps along the length, and I used just enough heat that I could just barely keep my fingers on it, then evened it out with the clamps. It stayed straight when I relaxed the clamps, and the paint is still intact. It's up to the boss now.

In this case a new part is in order because of liability. I am sure that any repair you made will work just fine. We live in an excessive litigious society and you would put your self in a position of undue risk. It's sad but true. Wish their were more people like yourself. Things would sure work better in more ways than mechanical.

Back