[4]

Albrecht Chuck Knurling?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

7milesup

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Hello all. Apparently I have a weak spot for Albrecht chucks on auctions because my collection is now up to about 6 or so of them. I have a few that are really nice but also a few that have seen better days, however, I can't get myself to just put them in the scrap bin.

My question is regarding the knurling. I would like to clean the knurling up on these chucks but have no idea on the best approach. Finding a knurling tool that has the same type/size of knurling would be ideal. I will be honest that I have never done any knurling, nor do I really know much about it. I did get a knurling tool with my Precision Matthews 1022 lathe when I bought it but I am guessing that that tool will not match the Albrecht chuck knurling.

Attachments

pstemari

Looks like the damage is little bits of knurling that have broken off. I don't know if there is anything you can do for that. You might be able to use a triangular file to clean up the existing k knurling.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

pacifica

RGL
The hood on an albrecht chuck is heat treated alloy. Probably ruin any knurling tool .
I'm not that good at knurling but can now achieve acceptable results-but it takes some practice,good quality tools, ridgid set-up, some math and study to get a nice , crisp knurl.

mikey

Active User
I agree - that hood is hardened and I would live with the defects.

7milesup

Thank you guys for your response. I was hoping to clean at least a couple of them up and sell them on eBay, but with that kind of knurling damage I am not sure if anyone would want one. Oh well, I certainly can live with it. Lesson learned though.

I do need to learn more about knurling though. ;)

mikey

Active User
I don't think you'll have trouble selling an Albrecht on ebay, even with the knurling damage. Most guys know it doesn't affect the function of the tool. You will probably need to accept a lower price, though. The key things a savvy buyer is looking for is the condition of the jaws, evidence of damage to the nose and whether the collar screw is present and serviceable. New hobby guys want perfection for peanuts; users will buy that tool.

mmcmdl

Staff member
That knurl does not effect the function of the chuck . Looks like someone's channel locks took their toll on it but anyone looking for an Albrecht would expect that . As mikey said , a user will buy it .

7milesup

^^^ thank you ^^^

I bought 3 of them for a little under $100. Sight unseen and unfortunately one has a bad set of jaws. About $90 or so for a jaw set. I still think I am money ahead.

mmcmdl

Staff member
^^^ thank you ^^^

I bought 3 of them for a little under $100. Sight unseen and unfortunately one has a bad set of jaws. About $90 or so for a jaw set. I still think I am money ahead.
I would say so !

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
If you removed the blueing from the parts and did it over, most of that damage would not be easily visible. Personally, I would leave them alone if they are in good working condition. Beautiful work from ugly tools, no problem... As stated by others above, trying to redo the knurling will probably just make them look worse.

7milesup

Speaking of bluing, the chuck I posted in this thread has an almost chrome finish to it. I have another Albrecht like that too but the rest of them have the bluing or black oxide finish. I thought they all had black oxide? Or were there different years for different finishes?

Bob Korves

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Speaking of bluing, the chuck I posted in this thread has an almost chrome finish to it. I have another Albrecht like that too but the rest of them have the bluing or black oxide finish. I thought they all had black oxide? Or were there different years for different finishes?
All the ones I have seen are black or polished. I used the word "blueing" to cover all types of oxide finishes. You could use whatever process you have on hand or think is best for you to apply.

7milesup

I like the black oxide finishes. I hope to start experimenting soon with it but got a couple irons in the fire at the moment. Also have looked at Cerakote (for the outside of the chuck only obviously).https://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/

EmilioG

Active User
A new hood costs around $65. I would just leave the defects as is. New jaws are on sale from MSC for $71.00

7milesup

$71? I am seeing $99 on MSC, even after I log in.

EmilioG

Active User
$71? I am seeing $99 on MSC, even after I log in.
I have an old account with MSC that gives me better prices. I think you have to sign up with their program. One stop shop

KBeitz

Guess I'm an odd ball.... i bought a new one years ago and tried it for a few week and put it back in the box and I just love a good keyed chuck...

Cadillac

Brass
Registered
The chuck pictured has some mileage on it that's why it looks the way it does. A chuck get hands put on it a lot. Which over the years wears off the finish and polishes also. Also depending if it's been cleaned with certain cleaners it will take the bluing off. I personally wouldn't mind on the knurling as long as it works as they do. Good haul.

7milesup

I have an old account with MSC that gives me better prices. I think you have to sign up with their program. One stop shop
I found some on eBay for $79 with free shipping. Guess where they came from? That's right... MSC. :)

middle.road

Actively Learning...
I like the black oxide finishes. I hope to start experimenting soon with it but got a couple irons in the fire at the moment. Also have looked at Cerakote (for the outside of the chuck only obviously).https://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/
Cerokote is really cool. I've had to deal with it on some parts I repaired. Parts were brass & copper tubes.
Knockered the heck out a 3/16" HSS End Mill.
But it is tough. Had to sand it off of a couple, started at 440 and finally gave that futile attempt up and attacked it with 150/220 & WD40 to get it to break.

Guess I'm an odd ball.... i bought a new one years ago and tried it for a few week and put it back in the box and I just love a good keyed chuck...
Toss it on the classifieds here, offset holiday expenses. There is a law in most states about letting fine tooling sit idle. :grin:

[6]
[5] [7]