Albrecht Chuck Knurling?

7milesup

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hello all. Apparently I have a weak spot for Albrecht chucks on auctions because my collection is now up to about 6 or so of them. I have a few that are really nice but also a few that have seen better days, however, I can't get myself to just put them in the scrap bin.

My question is regarding the knurling. I would like to clean the knurling up on these chucks but have no idea on the best approach. Finding a knurling tool that has the same type/size of knurling would be ideal. I will be honest that I have never done any knurling, nor do I really know much about it. I did get a knurling tool with my Precision Matthews 1022 lathe when I bought it but I am guessing that that tool will not match the Albrecht chuck knurling.

20181124_121710.jpg

20181124_121656.jpg

Looks like the damage is little bits of knurling that have broken off. I don't know if there is anything you can do for that. You might be able to use a triangular file to clean up the existing k knurling.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

The hood on an albrecht chuck is heat treated alloy. Probably ruin any knurling tool .
I'm not that good at knurling but can now achieve acceptable results-but it takes some practice,good quality tools, ridgid set-up, some math and study to get a nice , crisp knurl.

I agree - that hood is hardened and I would live with the defects.

Thank you guys for your response. I was hoping to clean at least a couple of them up and sell them on eBay, but with that kind of knurling damage I am not sure if anyone would want one. Oh well, I certainly can live with it. Lesson learned though.

I do need to learn more about knurling though. ;)

I don't think you'll have trouble selling an Albrecht on ebay, even with the knurling damage. Most guys know it doesn't affect the function of the tool. You will probably need to accept a lower price, though. The key things a savvy buyer is looking for is the condition of the jaws, evidence of damage to the nose and whether the collar screw is present and serviceable. New hobby guys want perfection for peanuts; users will buy that tool.

That knurl does not effect the function of the chuck . Looks like someone's channel locks took their toll on it but anyone looking for an Albrecht would expect that . As mikey said , a user will buy it .

^^^ thank you ^^^

I bought 3 of them for a little under $100. Sight unseen and unfortunately one has a bad set of jaws. About $90 or so for a jaw set. I still think I am money ahead.

^^^ thank you ^^^

I bought 3 of them for a little under $100. Sight unseen and unfortunately one has a bad set of jaws. About $90 or so for a jaw set. I still think I am money ahead.

I would say so !

If you removed the blueing from the parts and did it over, most of that damage would not be easily visible. Personally, I would leave them alone if they are in good working condition. Beautiful work from ugly tools, no problem... As stated by others above, trying to redo the knurling will probably just make them look worse.

Back