Albrecht Chuck Knurling?

Speaking of bluing, the chuck I posted in this thread has an almost chrome finish to it. I have another Albrecht like that too but the rest of them have the bluing or black oxide finish. I thought they all had black oxide? Or were there different years for different finishes?

Speaking of bluing, the chuck I posted in this thread has an almost chrome finish to it. I have another Albrecht like that too but the rest of them have the bluing or black oxide finish. I thought they all had black oxide? Or were there different years for different finishes?
All the ones I have seen are black or polished. I used the word "blueing" to cover all types of oxide finishes. You could use whatever process you have on hand or think is best for you to apply.

I like the black oxide finishes. I hope to start experimenting soon with it but got a couple irons in the fire at the moment. Also have looked at Cerakote (for the outside of the chuck only obviously).https://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/

A new hood costs around $65. I would just leave the defects as is. New jaws are on sale from MSC for $71.00

$71? I am seeing $99 on MSC, even after I log in.

$71? I am seeing $99 on MSC, even after I log in.
I have an old account with MSC that gives me better prices. I think you have to sign up with their program. One stop shop

Guess I'm an odd ball.... i bought a new one years ago and tried it for a few week and put it back in the box and I just love a good keyed chuck...

The chuck pictured has some mileage on it that's why it looks the way it does. A chuck get hands put on it a lot. Which over the years wears off the finish and polishes also. Also depending if it's been cleaned with certain cleaners it will take the bluing off. I personally wouldn't mind on the knurling as long as it works as they do. Good haul.

I have an old account with MSC that gives me better prices. I think you have to sign up with their program. One stop shop

I found some on eBay for $79 with free shipping. Guess where they came from? That's right... MSC. :)

I like the black oxide finishes. I hope to start experimenting soon with it but got a couple irons in the fire at the moment. Also have looked at Cerakote (for the outside of the chuck only obviously).https://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/
Cerokote is really cool. I've had to deal with it on some parts I repaired. Parts were brass & copper tubes.
Knockered the heck out a 3/16" HSS End Mill.
But it is tough. Had to sand it off of a couple, started at 440 and finally gave that futile attempt up and attacked it with 150/220 & WD40 to get it to break.

Guess I'm an odd ball.... i bought a new one years ago and tried it for a few week and put it back in the box and I just love a good keyed chuck...
Toss it on the classifieds here, offset holiday expenses. There is a law in most states about letting fine tooling sit idle. :grin:

Back