Albrecht Chuck Problem

Howardd

Registered
Registered
I have a 1/2" Albrech keyless chuck that has less than 5 hours on it, a year and a half old. When I tried to use it today in my mill the drill bit fell out. I tried it a couple of times with the same result. A couple of times I tried to pull the bit out with a pair of pliers before starting the mill and the bit held fast.

I brushed out the chuck to make sure the jaws were clean. Any idea what the problem outdoors be.

Thanks

Howard

Are you turning the spindle backwards by chance? Is the bit bottoming out in the chuck when tightening? This can prevent proper tightening.

The commonest cause for an Albrecht chuck to loosen in use is oil on the spindle threads. I suggest you pull it apart and clean the threads and the threaded section of the body with lacquer thinner to remove all traces of oil.

I would disassemble it as the very last resort. If in fact as mentioned above it is oil causing problems and it could be. And is supported because the chuck does clamp the bit, using lacquer thinner or mineral sprits, as an oil remover. Mineral sprits being preferred because it has a lubricating quality, where as lacquer thinner does not.

Put it in a pan jaws open and facing up poor it down the hole. Bathe it with a brush, should wash out any excess oil. Once dried hose it down with some WD, let it set to drain. Not necessary to take the chuck a part, would not take the chuck apart, no reason to take the chuck apart.

Albrecht recommends that the spindle threads be completely oil-free for proper functioning of the chuck. In addition, there are 25 ball bearings just in front of the spindle that do require lubrication for the chuck to function properly. So, while it is certainly optional to not take the chuck apart, its actually the only way to remove oil from the part that needs to be oil-free and leave the lubrication where it needs the lubrication.

Last edited:
Are you turning the spindle backwards by chance? Is the bit bottoming out in the chuck when tightening? This can prevent proper tightening.

that was my first thought..they get tighter the other way..

You should try to reverse it and re-fix it again. It will work precisely and do its job greatly.

Notice the tray...

Do work in a pan or tray as you will get a surprise when opening the Chuck and the bearings depart.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

I use the tray also accompanied by a clear plastic bag large enough to get both hands in and work. Anything that decides to go elsewhere on its own stays in the bag where I can find it when the time comes. Haven't lost a small or large part since I started using the bag.

"Billy G"

Back