Alexander 3A engraver and die-sinker ( an English version of the Deckel)

Brian Hutchings

Registered
Registered
I have one of these, recently acquired but not yet conected electrically due to some workshop renovations.
Brian

Yes, I have a couple of pictures; one showing it being delivered and one showing it more or less in position in the workshop. I have an inverter to operate it but have not yet wired it up as I needed a new ceiling in the workshop.P1170508a.JPGP1170507.JPG
Brian

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. Keep posting as you get it up and running.

I wonder if a moderator can help me out; I got in a muddle with the pictures and they have split the text. There should only be two pictures!
Brian

Now have an inverter hooked up running on 250v three phase. (The motor is a dual phase one.)
I've only run the motor a couple of times because I need to clean and lubricate the spindle because I doubt that is has the correct grease in it. The 'grease' nipples on the rest of the machine have had grease inserted and I know it should be oil, so I need to clean it out and use some slideway oil.
Brian

Dismantled the intermediate pulley today to find that the bearings are not good and appear to still have the original grease in them from 60 years ago or so. Needless to say the grease was solid and a deep shade of brown. found some replacement bearings on the internet and am awaiting delivery.
Brian

Intermediate pulley now has new bearings and runs beautifully. Now working on the spindle. The bearings are good but the wrong grease fitted and a previous owner has also dismantled it and lost one of the Belleville washers. I have an enquiry in to the company for a new pair but in the meantime, I wondered is a solid washer with the same thickness would get me by. As I understand it, the Belleville washers are there to add a preload to the bearings.
I'm cleaning everything in electrical contact cleaner because it doesn't leave a residue and then using the correct Kluber grease on the bearings.
It's all a bit frustrating because I just want to get it finished.
Brian

Back