Alexander master toolmaker

alihureiby

Registered
Registered
Hello Everyone

Finally, i bought Alexander master toolmaker (serial number 1015) and will be my next restoration.
Anyone here own Alexander products too?
If you have, i really want to see the pictures of it,serial number?

Been 5-7 years i'm collecting decent machines for my small workshop plan (upgraded from chinese lathe), right now i have Weiler primus lathe, Myford ML8 (under restoration), Meddings pillar drill, Alexander master toolmaker (next restoration), Emco, Unimat, and a lot of other tools.

About Alexander master toolmaker, i will do start restoration process in the next 2-3 mnths, I have several question about this milling :
{How to know manufacturing date on Alexander ?.}
{What does this mean PG/1.M.20.P.A on GHA badge? it's the same badge with serial number info.}
{Is this imperial ? rather than metric from deckel FP1, what is the pitch of 4 feet screws that hold the machine.}
{Anyone know more history information of it? i know Alexander was Deckel dealer in UK, do they produce under deckel license?}

I got Alexander manual from this site :
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=16604
it's 29 pages, Has anyone own other manual version? would lovely to know it.

ypZzg5z.jpg

M1QKRH7.jpg

vE4Dvog.jpg

qd6JP1w.jpg

Vo5Y0nf.jpg

obnYEIh.jpg

4meEe3E.jpg

yHCzCfr.jpg

This 1934 brochure shown that Alexander still use deckel badge on it
1XM2hZE.jpg

This 1946 brochure shown that their own badge (GHA)
h0CT8NW.jpg

This 1950
443nJvp.jpg

Alexander was Deckel dealer in UK even for very early model
nSzBV54.jpg

credit, got old pictures from this site :
https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/George_H._Alexander_Machinery
and from lathes.co.uk

regards

Would definitely appreciate a machine like that for my shop if one would come up at a decent used price at a reasonable cost.

Would definitely appreciate a machine like that for my shop if one would come up at a decent used price at a reasonable cost.
Indeed, that machine type (Deckel style) is very versatility, can be used for vertical & horizontal.
The lever in the back of table control table left-right, up-down. And a lot of awkward set up.

Wow, you have quite the project collection. What were you able to get for attachments? How is it fixed for tooling? Looks like the MT4 spindle (probably with the S20x2 male thread)? Hopefully you got collets, as that really helps to gain some head room. The collets are available (just expensive).

I have the equivalent offering from Maho (MH 600) and was fortunate to get a nice set of accessories.

It is a fun little machine to run, but you are right about how the set ups can be quite involved.

Enjoy it, David

Wow, you have quite the project collection. What were you able to get for attachments? How is it fixed for tooling? Looks like the MT4 spindle (probably with the S20x2 male thread)? Hopefully you got collets, as that really helps to gain some head room. The collets are available (just expensive).

I have the equivalent offering from Maho (MH 600) and was fortunate to get a nice set of accessories.

It is a fun little machine to run, but you are right about how the set ups can be quite involved.

Enjoy it, David

Your Maho look in great shape , How much it cost you? wish i had opportunity to get machine like that, maho 600 look like same size as Deckel FP2. I bought this Alexander master toolmaker for $1000, and i got all what it stick on the machine (drawbar for horizontal & vertical already has drill chuck), Origininal vise with dovetail. Less table, I think i will make my own fix table (I do still in discussion with friend of mine that has really big workshop and even 1 meters surface grinding). All the dovetaill is in really good shape, look like this machine was used for drilling operation only. Yes this is MT4, same as very early deckel fp1.

Is there has manufacturing year on the Maho badge ? I really dont know how to find out Alexander manufacturing date, i found a guy from facebook that has Alexander, And guess what, he's been looking that info too :oops:

I dont know why, but this $1000 is a lot better than buy chinese milling that cost $1500-$1800, I have Friend that work on car restoration & painting, already restored my myford ML8 lathe and get painted with car quality, i hope the next restoration (Alexander) will be same result.

Maho's full manual version of the MH 600 is the same size as the FP1 (a nearly identical work envelop). Maho also made a lot of CNC machines and even used the same model numbers but an MH 600 CNC machine has a significantly larger work envelop.

The machine nameplate does not have a year of manufacture - I contacted Maho with the serial number and this machine was made in late 1963. I was able to purchase a second MH 600 (a good selection of attachments, but no tooling) - it is a 1965 machine. I have not cleaned up and used the second machine (they are near identical machines and the first one does what I need. Also, so many projects and so little time). Between the two machines I have most of the available attachments (just missing the high speed vertical head and the table fitted with a short Y-axis travel). I paid $3700 CAD for the first machine and all attachments & tooling (the machine was local to me so there was no transport fee). I was not able to test the machine, but all I had to do was a bit of cleaning and oiling and away it went. I added the DRO about 3 years after I'd purchased the machine. I paid $1500 CAD for the second machine. I was not able to see or even test the machine (all done by long distance). It was shipped 4000 km to me (cost $1000 to package and ship).

Perhaps you are now on the endless hunt for the attachments. Deckel components are not easy to find - I'll bet Alexander components are even more difficult?

Enjoy that "new" mill. Regards, David

Maho's full manual version of the MH 600 is the same size as the FP1 (a nearly identical work envelop). Maho also made a lot of CNC machines and even used the same model numbers but an MH 600 CNC machine has a significantly larger work envelop.

The machine nameplate does not have a year of manufacture - I contacted Maho with the serial number and this machine was made in late 1963. I was able to purchase a second MH 600 (a good selection of attachments, but no tooling) - it is a 1965 machine. I have not cleaned up and used the second machine (they are near identical machines and the first one does what I need. Also, so many projects and so little time). Between the two machines I have most of the available attachments (just missing the high speed vertical head and the table fitted with a short Y-axis travel). I paid $3700 CAD for the first machine and all attachments & tooling (the machine was local to me so there was no transport fee). I was not able to test the machine, but all I had to do was a bit of cleaning and oiling and away it went. I added the DRO about 3 years after I'd purchased the machine. I paid $1500 CAD for the second machine. I was not able to see or even test the machine (all done by long distance). It was shipped 4000 km to me (cost $1000 to package and ship).

Perhaps you are now on the endless hunt for the attachments. Deckel components are not easy to find - I'll bet Alexander components are even more difficult?

Enjoy that "new" mill. Regards, David

Been googling about maho machine, exposed motor indicated early version.
Look like that's the plus side of having maho, you still get customer service :):)

There's Alexander master toolmaker for sale,
exactly like mine, but with great condition and has more accesories, for 1500 british pound, that's good deal.
But my distance to UK is about 12000 km, air freight impossible for that weight, can't do sea freight since regulation in my country forbiden personal direct import via sea freight, must pass through local import-export corporation, Since it's not brand new machine, the customs will cost more, 30% of CIF (cost of items + insurance + freight), conclusion that i can pay roughly about $10000-$15000 :eek::eek: ,

My only decent machine which their company still in service is Weiler primus lathe, i love it.
I'm not so internationally hunting about big guy machinery, will do local searching/ limited to local only.

Alexander master toolmaker is british version of Deckel FP1 (early version), all is same except bevel angle taper on vertical head, I heard from other forum, deckel FP1 use Alexander overarm.

I do only hunting for Unimat DB/SL lathe accesories from ebay, since it's small and light, easily ship with air and done many times.

Hello Everyone

Finally, i bought Alexander master toolmaker (serial number 1015) and will be my next restoration.

Been 5-7 years i'm collecting decent machines for my small workshop plan (upgraded from chinese lathe), right now i have Weiler primus lathe, Myford ML8 (under restoration), Meddings pillar drill, Alexander master toolmaker (next restoration), Emco, Unimat, and a lot of other tools.

About Alexander master toolmaker, i will do start restoration process in the next 2-3 mnths, I have several question about this milling :
{What does this mean PG/1.M.20.P.A on GHA badge? it's the same badge with serial number info.}
{Is this imperial ? rather than metric from deckel FP1, what is the pitch of 4 feet screws that hold the machine.}
{Anyone know more history information of it? i know Alexander was Deckel dealer in UK, do they produce under deckel license?}

ypZzg5z.jpg

M1QKRH7.jpg

vE4Dvog.jpg

qd6JP1w.jpg

Vo5Y0nf.jpg

obnYEIh.jpg

4meEe3E.jpg

yHCzCfr.jpg

1XM2hZE.jpg

h0CT8NW.jpg

This 1950
443nJvp.jpg

nSzBV54.jpg

and from lathes.co.uk

regards
Hello Everyone

ypZzg5z.jpg

M1QKRH7.jpg

vE4Dvog.jpg

qd6JP1w.jpg

Vo5Y0nf.jpg

obnYEIh.jpg

4meEe3E.jpg

yHCzCfr.jpg

1XM2hZE.jpg

h0CT8NW.jpg

This 1950
443nJvp.jpg

nSzBV54.jpg

and from lathes.co.uk

regards
I have just come across your post on the Alexander Toolmaker machine, which is just like mine! I have only had it a few months since I rescued it from several years in a barn on a pallet, but a lot of wire brushing later it works a treat. Well it did. The problem began with very limited upward table travel that I couldn't understand - as there were no stops in the way. Today it refuses to let the table travel up or down, in fact it appears to be jammed. Same goes for the gearstick arrangement for selecting power feed up or down. Won't move. I came to the conclusion that it needs to come apart and wondered whether you could offer some advice as you may well have had yours apart by now?
It appears to me that the whole cross slide should come off the machine by lifting up and off the top of the guides? In order to do this I think I will need to remove the bottom bearing on the leadscrew which I think anchors the mechanism? If I can get the cross slide to move then I thi9nk that would work - apart from the fact that the horizontal spindle is in the way! Does the horizontal spindle have to come out in order to get the cross slide off the machine? There is a collar behind the bearing and the straight cut gear appears to be held in place by a grubscrew, which I have got out - but no movement. I have released the collar behinmd the bearing and tapped the shaft from the back and I can get about 3/16 movement before everything is solid. Any advice?
I enclose some pics shopwing where I am at the moment; the spindle nose in way of releasing the cross slide, the horizontal spindle, bearing collar and gear,
Hello Everyone

ypZzg5z.jpg

M1QKRH7.jpg

vE4Dvog.jpg

qd6JP1w.jpg

Vo5Y0nf.jpg

obnYEIh.jpg

4meEe3E.jpg

yHCzCfr.jpg

1XM2hZE.jpg

h0CT8NW.jpg

This 1950
443nJvp.jpg

nSzBV54.jpg

and from lathes.co.uk

regards
I wonder if you can help me? I have just noticed this thread and would draw your attention to one I have just posted regarding dismantling - or possibly just unjamming my own Alexander machine? Thankyou for your attention.

Back