Alibre Atom3d?

Ken226

Registered
Registered
It looks like Alibre just announced it, and is pricing it for the home/hobby level user at about 250.00.

Their site says nothing about a subscription, so im assuming its a one-time purchase price.
I've been using Inventor, HSM and AutoCAD for several years, mostly because I was a student, working on a Mechanical Engineering Technology associates degree.
Now that I've graduated college, ill be needing an alternative soon. I was considering Fusion 360 but the Alibre option doesn't look bad either.

I'm downloading the trial version right now.

As a school trained AutoCAD and Inventor user, ill report back my impressions of the new Alibre Atom3d software.

Thanks for the tip. I've been trying out Fusion 360 for a while. It's actually pretty good. However, I'm not sure I like everything being on a cloud server. I might investigate this new software you're talking about. I used to use Alibre in the past before they became Geomagic & I liked that back then. The new full version Alibre is out of my reach.

It looks like Alibre just announced it, and is pricing it for the home/hobby level user at about 250.00.

Their site says nothing about a subscription, so im assuming its a one-time purchase price.
I've been using Inventor, HSM and AutoCAD for several years, mostly because I was a student, working on a Mechanical Engineering Technology associates degree.
Now that I've graduated college, ill be needing an alternative soon. I was considering Fusion 360 but the Alibre option doesn't look bad either.

I'm downloading the trial version right now.

As a school trained AutoCAD and Inventor user, ill report back my impressions of the new Alibre Atom3d software.

Anyway you would be willing to benchmark the different software by modeling a standard part and sharing your thoughts and impressions? I think for a lot of people who want to learn, this would be a great way for them to see what it takes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$250 is the price with subscription (1 year of updates)
It's $199 without.
Pricing is here: https://www.alibre.com/product/alibre-atom3d/
What I can't find is the ongoing 'maintenance' or 'subscription' price, if it's the difference ~$50 a year, that's not too bad really, to stay up-to-date.
I've asked on the Alibre Forum, will report back if i get an answer.

I purchased Alibre Design PE (Personal Edition) with the advanced Import/Export tool (for Step files and compatibility with Solidworks and Inventor part/assembly files) without maintenance option, so bought outright with no future updates.
About a week later they announced the sale to 3D Systems (in 2013?)
Shorty after that it got renamed Geomagic PE and they offered free upgrade for everyone, even without maintenance, but it was otherwise identical as far as I could tell.
Then a while after that 3D Systems renamed the PE edition again to 'Cubify'. Ewww.
Again, free upgrade offered, so despite the toyish name I took them up on the offer and it was definitely an improvement, far fewer crashes for me and a few new features though I don't remember what.

Now it's back to being Alibre, this new version is very interesting, I'm tempted to download the trial to see if it's worth upgrading, but I'm not sure if it's safe to do so with a perfectly good earlier version still installed on my PC.

Im really liking it so far.

I havnt done any benchmark tests, but the feel is significantly quicker than inventor.

Likely because its very stripped down hot rod, unlike the giant luxury sedan that is Inventor.

A big engine without a thousand pounds of luxury features. It runs very quick on my inventor pc.

Back