AliExpress Opinions

I've used Ali and BG for some purchases where 1. I wasn't in a hurry. 2. The price was significantly cheaper.

But to be perfectly honest, I will be curbing much of my purchases based on the product being from china. It is time for everyone to step up and support manufacturing in whatever country they reside in. If it just isn't available anywhere but from china then I may choose to go without or hold my nose and buy it.

I don't care for China any more than the the next guy, but buying American on a hobby budget is very tough to do. For example, I was looking at sine plates the other day. I went to Suburban Tool's website (because I love their videos) and lo and behold, their sine plates and vises are only just about what I paid for my 1022 lathe. If I opt for the bigger simple sine plate, it costs slightly more than my Taiwanese built 833T mill.

The ship sailed about 20 years ago on affordable new American products. No politician will change that with tariffs or any other method.

I have found very good products out of Czech and Eastern Europe. I also buy old American, but only on auctions. It is the only way I can afford it.

I don't care for China any more than the the next guy, but buying American on a hobby budget is very tough to do. For example, I was looking at sine plates the other day. I went to Suburban Tool's website (because I love their videos) and lo and behold, their sine plates and vises are only just about what I paid for my 1022 lathe. If I opt for the bigger simple sine plate, it costs slightly more than my Taiwanese built 833T mill.

The ship sailed about 20 years ago on affordable new American products. No politician will change that with tariffs or any other method.

I have found very good products out of Czech and Eastern Europe. I also buy old American, but only on auctions. It is the only way I can afford it.
Yeah, I get that. I've seen some Indian stuff that doesn't seem horrible. And I like the auctions, when I can get to them. And I like the used machine place here as well. I'd rather buy old American than new chinese but it seems a lot of people think the same way. But there are still deals to be had. I picked up 6 brazed carbide cutters for .25 each and they turned out to be NOS USA made. There were more there so I will eventually get back and get more. For .25 each, I can skip the chinese inserts for a while, though it would be nice to have a diamond wheel to touch them up, I just have diamond stones and they work but they are slow.

The thing I find is most of the tooling there is commercial shop size. Big inserts, big holders, and I have a smallish set of machines. But at some point I will figure out a way to use some of it.

There is certainly a step up in quality when going to Taiwan vs. China. Indian, I avoid if at all possible, I must have been burned a few times. Or maybe it was my pre-calc teacher that was an Indian and a complete A-hole. LOL.

Yep, the auctions are nice if you can find like you mentioned.... NOS and made in USA. Those are fun to find. ;)

One other thing to note: If whatever you're buying has/needs an instruction or users manual, be prepared for it not to be with the item or if it is, find a way to learn Chinese.

It is time for everyone to step up and support manufacturing in whatever country they reside in
I get why you are saying this,but if you can see it from my point of view for the sake of argument. When I buy say for instance a Mitotoyo test indicator from Aliexpress or Ebay, I pay about three to four times less for it that I would have here in my country. Therefore I hardly buy anything for the shop localy anymore,wich is actually sad,but I don't have a choice really. Availability is also an issue sometimes. You don't have to buy brand names with everything, it depends on what the tool is.

One other thing to note: If whatever you're buying has/needs an instruction or users manual, be prepared for it not to be with the item or if it is, find a way to learn Chinese.

Google translate app for your phone can use your camera to read Chinese, it is a very cool application of augmented reality. You just point the camera at the text and it displays English overlaid onto the camera display.

Google translate app for your phone can use your camera to read Chinese, it is a very cool application of augmented reality. You just point the camera at the text and it displays English overlaid onto the camera display.

Nice. Thank you for the tip.

I get why you are saying this,but if you can see it from my point of view for the sake of argument. When I buy say for instance a Mitotoyo test indicator from Aliexpress or Ebay, I pay about three to four times less for it that I would have here in my country. Therefore I hardly buy anything for the shop localy anymore,wich is actually sad,but I don't have a choice really. Availability is also an issue sometimes. You don't have to buy brand names with everything, it depends on what the tool is.

If you're buying a Mitotoyo test indicator for 1/3 or 1/4 of the regular price it's probably counterfeit. It might work fine but if I'm taking my chances with a low cost tool from an unknown supplier I'll skip paying the premium price for branding that's likely suspect. Many local supply houses do carry Chinese tools for close to what you pay online, it's worthwhile to check what they have available IMHO.

John

I've bought more items from Aliexpress than Banggood. Generally reasonable quality. I will not purchase any of their electronics, as I'm concerned about future service and or warranty claims. Would be rather difficult to return items to China. China post has lost one of the items I ordered from Aliexpress. I contacted Ali, they said it arrived in the destination country, and gave me tracking #. Contacted Canada post they advised the # was international and they couldn't help. Contacted China Post they said it's in Vancouver Canada. So lost some ware, never did get it. Fortunately it was only worth about $10.00. I bought a watch from Banggood. It wasn't functioning when I received it, complained to Banggood, they advised to contact the seller, was advised it was out of warranty, all thought warranty card said it covered for 1 year. I asked them were I could at least sent it for service, never got an reply. I'll stick Aliexpress.

Back